We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top Things to Do While in Gettysburg

Which Gettysburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fraser
Top Things to Do While in Gettysburg

Hi -

Apart from take a tour with a Battlefield Guide, what are some of the other "can't miss" highlights when planing a 4-5 day stay in Gettysburg?

Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
reviews: 82
1. Re: Top Things to Do While in Gettysburg

If you are really into Civil War history, you may be able to fill 4 - 5 days in Gettysburg. If you are looking for a day trip, I would recommend going to Harpers Ferry, WV which is only an hour from Gettysburg. You could also include a trip to Antietam, MD.

http://www.nps.gov/hafe/index.htm

http://www.nps.gov/ancm/index.htm

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 36
2. Re: Top Things to Do While in Gettysburg

I never know how to answer this stuff because my can't miss is sometimes others can't stand. There is an excellent new museum at the Lutheran Seminary which played a significant role in the battle. Is it a can't miss? Climbing Devil's Den? Walking the line where on Little Round top where the 21st maine held the Union flank. Trying to find where Lincoln gave the Gettysburg Address.

I used to say climbing the Gettysburg Nat' tower but it was demolished. (but you can look it up).

At the top of my son's list is getting an ice cream after walking the field. I think if you look at the various websites you will find the top things that you want to do.

With that much time, a trip to HF, Antietam or even Baltimore for a day trip (just over an hour) are great diversions.

Edited: 4:14 pm, July 31, 2013
Fraser
3. Re: Top Things to Do While in Gettysburg

Thanks for the tip! I hadn't thought about taking any day trips but now it's definitely a possibility. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Fraser
4. Re: Top Things to Do While in Gettysburg

Actually, you gave me wonderful ideas here! I know what you mean - what one person enjoys another doesn't - but I still like suggestions and you gave me great ones. I'm excited to explore at Devil's Den, etc. so THANK YOU for the response!!

Oh, and the tip about ice cream is REALLY good! :-)

Philly Suburbs
reviews: 5
5. Re: Top Things to Do While in Gettysburg

If you're really into Civil War history, there's a museum in Harrisburg that is dedicated to not just Gettysburg but the war in general. Not too far of a side trip, about an hour or so to the north.

Reply to: Top Things to Do While in Gettysburg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted