We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gettysburg in October

Which Gettysburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Clearwater, Florida
Gettysburg in October

Looking forward to a visit to Gettysburg! My husband and I will be spending about 4 days. How much time should we plan for the battlefields? What other places are not to be missed? Apple Harvest Festival....is it worth a visit? Are ticks a problem in October? Since we have 4 days..what else is close for a day trip? Thanks in advance for all replies!

vicahe

Williamston...
reviews: 79
1. Re: Gettysburg in October

I was there recently. You should start at the Gettysburg Museum and Visitor Center, see the film/Cyclorama and museum. Probably spend about 2.5-3 hours there. The time on the battlefield itself can be variable, depending on how in depth you want to get. I spent about 4 hours on it, including stops at 3-4 points of particular interest. If one wanted to stop at every monument and read every plaque, I can see it taking all day. As for other things to see, click on the "Things to Do" tab. If you're looking for other places with a Civil War connection close by, the Antietam battlefield in Sharpsburg, MD is about an hour away. Harpers Ferry, WV is less than an hour from Antietam. If you're fit, you can try hiking the bluff overlooking the town. Frederick, MD also has a battlefield and a museum on Civil War medicine and is just an hour away. If you're looking for some big city action, Baltimore and Washington DC are within 2-3 hours of driving.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
reviews: 106
2. Re: Gettysburg in October

I would second a visit to Harpers Ferry, WV. If you want a break from the Civil War sites, I would suggest a visit to the Hershey/Harrisburg area which is about an hour from Gettysburg.

Hershey has more to offer than Hersheypark. The Hershey Trolley Works tour which departs from would give you an overview of the area. The tour departs from Chocolate World where you can take the Great American Chocolate Tour, a ride through the chocolate making process. The Hershey Story (museum) chronicles the history of Milton S. Hershey and the Hershey Gardens are also worth a visit.

If you want to more Civil War sites, the National Civil War Museum is in Harrisburg. You could also tour the PA State Capitol, which is a beautiful building and visit the PA State Museum.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
reviews: 44
3. Re: Gettysburg in October

October is a lovely time of year. The Apple Harvest Festival is a huge festival that draws many people from the region. There are many apple foods and the festival completely supports a local park. If you are interested, know that you will have to ride a bus from a nearby field to get to the festival. If you like rural life and everything apple, you would probably enjoy it; however, you might find that a visit to one of the local farmstands (like Hollabaugh's or the Round Barn) would be just as fun and easier to manage. Hauser Estate Winery has beautiful views and would be a great place to visit.

If you like hiking, the two local state parks (Caledonia and Pine Grove Furnace) have lots of trails at a wide range of difficulty levels. A hike to the halfway point on the Appalachian Trail is fun.

…state.pa.us/stateparks/…

Clearwater, Florida
4. Re: Gettysburg in October

Thanks for the advice....next question....if we go to Hershey (not the theme park) would we have time for a drive to Bird in hand, or take a drive thru the amish countryside? What about the Eisenhower home place...worth a visit? Again, thanks for the responses!

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
5. Re: Gettysburg in October

I think the Eisenhower National Historic Site is definitely worth a visit. When we visited, there was a tour guide in the first room of the house who gave some background information and then the remainder of the house and the rest of the grounds were a self tour.

Depending on what you do in Hershey, you could probably combine it with a drive to Bird in Hand and the Amish country side. It's about a 45 minute drive. Just keep in mind that any Amish related business will be closed on Sunday.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
6. Re: Gettysburg in October

If you want some good ideas on roads to take through the Amish countryside, check out some of the prior posts in the Lancaster forum, or post a question for a route in that forum. Brookquarry, a TA poster, has some good routes to suggest. There is also the option of getting tour from the Mennonite Information Center.

www.mennoniteinfoctr.com/guided-tours.asp

Edited: 9:50 pm, July 29, 2013
7. Re: Gettysburg in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 31, 2014