We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lots of questions

Which Gettysburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 12
Lots of questions

My wife & I are recently retired and we would like to visit Gettysburg. I have some health issues that prevent me from walking very far. Are there tours via car? Theirs or ours? What would the average cost be? Any personal recommendations? How far is Bloomsburg to Gettysburg; how far from Harrisburg?? We live in western Pennsylvania and we would be driving our own vehicle rather than renting. I'm guessing the drive to be 4 to 5 hours depending on the weather, which brings me to another question. I have read that deer ticks are a major problem, what month would they be less of a problem? Thanks, in advance, to all of my questions...............dan

1. Re: Lots of questions

I meant the distance from Chambersburg, not Bloomsburg, sorry

Williamston...
reviews: 78
2. Re: Lots of questions

Well, Chambersburg is only 30 miles from Gettysburg and Harrisburg is only 40 miles, so it wouldn't even take an hour to get to Gettysburg from those cities. As for the tours, yes, car tours are done with your own car. You can either do it yourself with the free map from the visitor's center and add in an audio CD you can purchase there, or you can hire a licensed battlefield guide at the center, who will handle the driving and give you a 2 hour tour. I believe they run about $65 or so. I don't know about the ticks, I didn't seem to run across any this month, but they are supposed to be there. Just spray yourself with some Deep Woods Off or a similar product, wear long pants, and stay out of tall grass, would be my recommendation.

Central PA
reviews: 59
3. Re: Lots of questions

Outside the winter months and snow, ticks can always be an issue. Buy spray if you are out on the battlefield. Book your tour ahead of time directl with the guides and you will save $ over booking with the visitors center. Same guides, just no middle man.

4. Re: Lots of questions

Thank you for your prompt replies; it's appreciated and gives me some ideas on what to expect. Next up will be finding a place to stay, of which is always a challenge of which I depend on the reviews on Trip Advisor. Mike mentioned booking a guide ahead of time which, to me, sounds like a good idea. I wonder how I would go about doing so; any ideas? Maybe I'll try a google search and see what pops up. Thanks again for your help..............dan

Gettysburg PA
reviews: 20
5. Re: Lots of questions

You can contact the guide office directly and save money. If you book through the Visitor's Center it costs more. gettysburgtourguides.org/reservations.html

If you have special needs, let them know at time of booking.

South Pasadena...
reviews: 25
6. Re: Lots of questions

A great way to book a good guide for a Battlefield tour is to chat with your Gettysburg hotel or B&B hosts. We always stay at the Doubleday Inn in Gettysburg and the owners, Todd and Christine, are FANTASTIC about getting us the best guides for our specific battlefield tours.

South Pasadena...
reviews: 25
7. Re: Lots of questions

Come to think of it, one of our favorite Gettysburg licensed Battlefield tour guides is Rich Kohr (you can Google his name and Gettysburg and his e-mail contact information will come up). Great guide with a dry sense of humor and incredible and wide-ranging knowledge of the Gettysburg Battlefield and Civil War tactics and equipment.

8. Re: Lots of questions

Thanks again for the help I asked for..................dan

9. Re: Lots of questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:23 am, August 01, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Gettysburg