We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not ideal, but . . .

Which Gettysburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
reviews: 10
Not ideal, but . . .

We are travelling through Gettysburg on Monday, July 29, later in the day. We only have a couple hours to stop. Is that even worth stopping? If so, what should we do with our very limited time? We are a family of 5, with 16, 14, 12 yr. old boys. Thanks for any help.

Williamston...
reviews: 81
1. Re: Not ideal, but . . .

How late in the day are you talking about? The Gettysburg Museum and Visitor Center is open until 6pm. It would probably take a couple of hours to do it justice, so if you could get there by 4pm, it might be worth it. If you can't get there before then, you could spend a couple of hours touring the battlefield. I don't think that's enough time to do the entire auto tour without rushing through it, so it might be better to just relax at some of the more scenic or historical spots like Little Round Top and Devil's Den. Of course, one should read up on the subject or watch the movie "Gettysburg" before going to make everything more meaningful. I believe there's a nightly campfire at 8:30 at auto tour stop #6 with an educational talk, if you're swinging by that late. I'll be going myself in early July, so maybe I'll report back how things went.

NE PA
reviews: 1
2. Re: Not ideal, but . . .

With only a couple hours, I would definitely hit some of the more "impressive" spots on the battlefield. Little roundtop, Devils Den, the wheatfield and the Peach orchard are all in the same area and would be well worth seeing. I would also at least make a stop at Reynolds woods and the railroad cut, while not near the other sites they figured prominently in the first days fight.

Central PA
reviews: 59
3. Re: Not ideal, but . . .

Depends on how much total time you want to spend. A bus tour runs 2 hours, if you plan on the Visitors center and then our on your own, I would agree with the previous posters on hitting only some of the highlights. The park itself is open until 10pm in July www.nps.gov/gett/planyourvisit/index.htm

Gettysburg, PA
reviews: 185
4. Re: Not ideal, but . . .

Def take them to Devils Den. Local kids love to go there and climb the rocks and read about the bloody battle that happened in that spot. I have seen people propose in that spot! It is also a very popular spot for ghosts. Check you tube!

Michigan
reviews: 10
5. Re: Not ideal, but . . .

thank you everyone for the very helpful suggestions. We are arriving later in the day (4-5:30 pm or so), so the visitor center is probably out. Either we'll try and get a late auto tour, or we'll try and hit some of the key areas you all talked about like Devil's Den, Little Roundtop, etc. Thank You!!

Williamston...
reviews: 81
6. Re: Not ideal, but . . .

Just a note. If you download the auto tour map from the NPS website, you should note that Devil's Den is not on the regular route of the auto tour. You'll have to make a detour after Little Round Top. But this is definitely the most fun place to climb around.

7. Re: Not ideal, but . . .

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 13, 2014