We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place in the Cyclorama?

Which Gettysburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Williamston...
reviews: 79
Best place in the Cyclorama?

From what I'm reading, there's a sound and light show in the Cyclorama at the Gettysburg Museum and Visitor Center. Would there be a particular spot that would give the best vantage point to see everything? Does the show move sequentially around the Cyclorama? This may be my one time to see it, so any advice on making the most of the experience would be appreciated.

Central PA
reviews: 59
1. Re: Best place in the Cyclorama?

There is an elevated platform, I would opt for that. As the story is told, the focus moves as well. There is no one spot that would afford you the best view.

Gettysburg PA
reviews: 20
2. Re: Best place in the Cyclorama?

I believe it starts with sunrise in the east, then moves to areas of focus. It's a flat platform, so there is freedom of movement, but it's designed as if you are standing on the ridge during the charge. They also limit the number of people at a time so you're not packed in. If you're interested in moving about to follow the show, you can. They turn up the lights so you can linger a few minutes after the show.

Brighton, Michigan
reviews: 83
3. Re: Best place in the Cyclorama?

How long is the show ?

Central PA
reviews: 59
4. Re: Best place in the Cyclorama?

I'd say the presentation is about 20 minutes, although you can leave whenever you want. The story is told, the painting is highlighted and then afterwards you can walk around for a very short time to see the entire mural. It really is quite a back story as well on how the painting came to be: nps.gov/gett/…gettysburg-cyclorama.htm

Williamston...
5. Re: Best place in the Cyclorama?

Obviously no flash photography would probably be allowed, but do they allow videotaping of the show? Would like to record it for future memories.

Boxborough...
reviews: 46
6. Re: Best place in the Cyclorama?

I don't recall about video, but I suspect it's OK. My opinion is that video is totally inadequate to capture the Cyclorama. I have a decent camera with good image stabilization and got some phenomenal stills.

Brighton, Michigan
reviews: 83
7. Re: Best place in the Cyclorama?

Well ... We were there ... As to best place to watch...I would say start by area they have reserved for the handicapped ... Most of the battlefield is in front of you there ... There are 2 steps down around the standing area near the edges... If you have short people/kids, they may want to find a spot there in the front ... If you are taller, you may want to stand on the main platform facing that way, but then you can also look around you more there

Williamston...
8. Re: Best place in the Cyclorama?

I was there a few days ago, and I have to agree with travelwhenIcan. The best place is the area reserved for the handicapped (you can stand there even if you aren't handicapped, assuming it's not filled with handicapped people). It's right in front of what I consider the most famous and dramatic scenes. It seems most of the action takes place here, too. The show was around 10 minutes long with a few minutes for picture taking afterwards. Total time spent in the Cyclorama from when they let you in until you have to go was about 15 minutes. BTW, no videotaping was allowed during the show. Afterwards was fine.

9. Re: Best place in the Cyclorama?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Gettysburg