We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pioneer Train ride

Which Gettysburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United States
Pioneer Train ride

Some friends joined my husband and I on a train ride in Gettysburg advertising a scenic dinner train ride that served country styled food etc. It cost over $45. per person.

Oh my goodness, if I can save one poor soul the money they would have wasted on this train ride, I would be so glad. This is the biggest rip off in Gettysburg. Please save your money and go to a nice restaurant and show afterwards somewhere else, anywhere else but here. You can't see out the plexiglass scratched windows anyway, it's at night, you see nothing but the back of factories and brush anyway. It's not scenic, the food was horrible. It's served with plastic utensils and on plastic plates. It was honestly one of the worst Gettysburg Attractions by far. Please go elsewhere.

Rockville, MD
1. Re: Pioneer Train ride

Pioneer Lines Evening Paradise Dinner Train Ride:

What a horrible experience and waste of money!

We paid $90 per couple for this excursion. Dinner tables were set with cheap plastic utensils and a cheese ball and crackers for four. When we asked for more crackers, the server could not be bothered to bring out another plastic plate of crackers. Instead she brought out the crackers still in the cellophane wrapping and shook them out over the table onto the plate with the cheese ball.

When dinner was about to be served, a horrible smell overwhelmed the train. It truly smelled like rotten cabbage. Dinner was served on plastic plates with three dividers like a TV dinner. It consisted of a small piece of meat, which was overcooked, unseasoned and dry. It literally tasted like cardboard. We tried to salvage it by placing it on a dinner roll to make a sandwich. Hey, we were hungry! On top of that was a dry piece of chicken. One of my dining companions had a very wet, soggy piece of chicken that looked different from everyone else's. It had a very unappetizing appearance. He requested a different piece of chicken and the server appeared to be insulted, told him it was steamed and could not get him a different piece. The vegetable was canned succotash (it tasted canned). In the third section was a potato. A potato to this company means an itty bitty teeny eeny weeny little red potato cut in half - just one.

Dessert consisted of a scoop of ice cream in a plastic bowl. A server came around with a plastic jar of nuts to pour over ice cream. Remember - this is $90 a couple!

The request for a new piece of chicken was later answered by two managers. They appeared at our table and accused us of harassing their server. They claimed their server was in the back bawling. However, I could clearly see all three servers and none were bawling. The one who handled the chicken request was laughing. We did not complain to the managers, for fear of being tossed off the train in the middle of the woods. Who knows with these strange people?

The trip was hardly scenic. We did see a nice sunset at the beginning of the trip, but it soon got dark and was difficult to see out the dirty, scratched windows. The windows also constantly fogged up and had to be wiped down in order to see out. But there was nothing worth seeing anyway. The scenic views were trailer parks, dark woods, etc. We counted the minutes and it seemed like forever. My husband and I and our two friends were so happy when the announcement was finally made that we would be pulling into the station shortly. Imagine our shock when the train actually crashed into what felt like a brick wall when we returned to the station!

Save your money! Go out to a nice restaurant and a show. Avoid this train ride. It was absolutely terrible.

Alexandria, Virginia
reviews: 169
2. Re: Pioneer Train ride

My wife and I booked passage on the 7:00 p.m. Ghost Train on Saturday, October 28th, 2006. And, at my suggestion, a former student, her parents, and her boyfriend, joined us. After the horrible experience we had, I doubt they'll talk to me again, and I don't blame them.

The only scary things about this attraction were its lousy quality and cost. There was no heat in the train. Pioneer Lines, hello, you're in Pennsylvania, not Florida! The seats were uncomfortable. The guide was obnoxious. But Mother Nature saved us. High winds caused a tree to fall on the tracks, or so we were told, and the staff was unable to clear it. So, mercifully, the train ride ended early. Do yourself a favor, stay away from the Pioneer Lines.

On the other hand, if you really want to be frightened, take a driving tour of the battlefield after dark while listening to Mark Nesbitt's tape titled (something like) Haunted Battlefield Driving Tour. My wife and I did it during a prior visit to Gettysburg, and we almost scared ourselves to death!

3. Re: Pioneer Train ride

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, August 26, 2009