We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can you bring your dog in Gettysburg?

Which Gettysburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
Where can you bring your dog in Gettysburg?

Are there any places you can bring your dog other than the hotel..Some towns allow dogs in the stores, as well as outdoor dinning. Can she also come with me to tour the battlefields etc?...Also the same questions for Lancaster County...Any help will be very appreciated...Thanks

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
reviews: 246
1. Re: Where can you bring your dog in Gettysburg?

Gubbyann- we spend a week every year in Gettysburg with our dogs during an event called " Greyhounds in Gettysburg", check out the website (just google Greyhounds in Gettysburg) it may give you an insight as to what places are dog friendly...keep in mind that these establishments may not be dog friendly all year, but I would check with them. Gettysburg is very easy(and fun) to walk with the dogs , ie...downtown, Baltimore street, Steinwehr Street, etc...Most of the smaller shops allowed the dogs in, just ask first! There is also a nice park a few blocks off Steinwehr Street with ball fields & paths, etc... As for the battlefield areas, We have taken the dogs to tour the Battlefield which is permitted...I know they are NOT allowed in or/to walk the National Cemetary and they are NOT allowed in the visitors center.The National Parks service website and visitors center can give you more info on the restrictions. The outlet center (shopping) , a few miles away allows dogs on their property since it is an outdoor "mall". If you walk downtown, the ragged edge cafe/coffee shop allows dogs on their front porch and in their backyard patio. The Pike restaurant also allowed dogs on their outdoor front deck for dining.I would check with the ghost tours as since it is outdoors, they may allow the dogs.(they run special dog ghost tours the week we are there) I hope I was of some help...

Pennsylvania
2. Re: Where can you bring your dog in Gettysburg?

Thank you, the info was very helpful..Looked up Greyhounds in Gettysburg, but missed the event...We plan to go in July and see what happens...Do you know anything about Lancaster county(Amish country?)...Thanks again...Gubbyann

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
reviews: 246
3. Re: Where can you bring your dog in Gettysburg?

Gubbyann- As far as Lancaster county goes, I can reccomend the Holiday Inn in Morgantown, Pa.....Terrific Location, Dog Friendly (please call to re-confirm!) Indoor pool,near restaurants,(The Windmill-GREAT breakfasts!) etc.... & Plenty of areas to walk your dog. About a 10-15 minute ride from the center of Amish country (Intercourse, PA.) via the backroads, thru the hills and farms. In Intercourse - there are alot of small shops and Kitchen Kettle Village (Check out their website) which is an outdoor shopping village where you can walk and spend a few hours. I hope this was of some help. Feel free to email me thru tripadvisor if you have any more questions or you want my two cents!

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Manchester
reviews: 56
4. Re: Where can you bring your dog in Gettysburg?

I've been in Gettysburg twice now with dogs [mine and than my son's puppy]. This is a very dog friendly town. We stay at the Travelodge. You can walk your dog on any part of the battle field except the cemetery. Many stores in town have signs by their door telling you they welcome dogs. Our favorite place to eat with the four legged friend is Hunt's Battle Field Fries. By the by Rita's [an ice cream place]gives puppies free dishs of ice-cream.

Best walk for dog because of low trafic is hands down Culp's Hill area.

5. Re: Where can you bring your dog in Gettysburg?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:44 am, December 02, 2009