We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best freebies in Philly?

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
reviews: 12
Best freebies in Philly?

Not to be picky, but I'm interested in things like the Art Museum's 'pay what you like' Sundays, not the 'hey, check out the Free Library and then talk a walk!' Any ideas for museums, attractions, tours, etc., that have discounts for certain days, seasons, reasons?

Philadelphia...
reviews: 108
1. Re: Best freebies in Philly?

superiorlines -

The "Sundays at the Art Museum" is a great deal. To be honest (and I am a bargain shopper for everything) - I don't know of many other things like that in Philly. What I have found is that, for example, the Philadelphia Zoo seems pricey if you pay the daily admission fee, but if you buy a yearlong membership (and actually use it for the year) it pays for itself if you go at least twice. Ditto for the Franklin Institute and the Adventure Aquarium. The Liberty Bell and Independence Hall are free and Elfreth's Alley is a mere $2. I know the Mann's Center offers lawn admission in the summer months for $10 - it's a really nice way to see the Philadelphia Orchestra. First Fridays are free as well in Old City. I'm sure you probably knew most of this already, but just wanted to mention. Hope that helps a little.

Suzanne

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 26
2. Re: Best freebies in Philly?

Hi Superiorlines.

One of my favorite little known activities in Philly is the City Hall Tour, weekdays at 12:30 p.m. It is free and it includes going up the clock tower.

For other events and attractions look at gophila.com and click of events caledar. When that comes up, you can search for free events and attractions, only.

Hope you find some things that interest you.

Lynn

Southeastern...
reviews: 58
3. Re: Best freebies in Philly?

You can get a weekly email offering half-price tickets to all kinds of shows and events in the area:

http://phillyfunguide.com/funsavers/

Since it's last-minute, you need to be flexible but there's always a nice variety. Not free, but some pretty good deals.

Philadelphia
reviews: 12
4. Re: Best freebies in Philly?

Thanks, everyone. In the interests of helping out fellow cheapskates:

The 2007 Flower Show coupons are online; some are good all year, some just during the show, but there's a lot of them

www.theflowershow.com/attractions/promos.html

For anyone in or near NJ, this card/booklet offers discounts on the arts (largely, of course, in North Jersey, but some are south of Trenton)

www.jerseyarts.com/fulfillment/request.cfm

Brandywine Valley coupons:

http://www.brandywinevalley.com/coupons.asp

Longwood Gardens is $4 cheaper on Tuesdays, which would make it $8 now-March 25.

The Independence Seaport Museum is free Sunday mornings

Another regular email with info about discounts is In City, which usually promotes events like Restaurant Week

…ntarget.com/hs50/…

www.phillyseaport.org/Plan_a_Visit.shtml

Philadelphia...
reviews: 1
5. Re: Best freebies in Philly?

tours of the US Mint are free every day. Who knew!

Philadelphia, PA
reviews: 4
6. Re: Best freebies in Philly?

Nearly all of the national park stuff in Old City (Indep. Hall, Liberty Bell, etc) is free.

7. Re: Best freebies in Philly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, August 21, 2009