We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to NYC

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Petersburg...
reviews: 36
Getting to NYC

We'll be in Philly for a 4-day weekend in March, and are staying at the Crowne Plaza in Cherry Hill. We're thinking about a day trip to NYC, and want to drive since we'll have a rental car. My question is...where is a close location to park the car and take a train/subway into the city? I don't want to drive in NYC and look for parking, would be looking for a nearby train station for a short ride in.

Thanks!

Seattle, WA
reviews: 2
1. Re: Getting to NYC

You'll get more options and details if you post this in the NYC forum but this might help.

If you're going to drive that close to the city it'll probably be easier just to drive into Manhattan and park in a garage. There are a lot of garages that are a short hop from the Lincoln Tunnel - I've used the Hudson Parking Garage (747 10th Ave.) a number of times. It's an easy drive - not like going through mid-town.

Some other options would be to park: 1) in Hoboken, NJ and take the PATH train; 2) at the Meadowlands and take the bus. Both of these would be more difficult and time consuming than driving direct.

Philadelphia...
2. Re: Getting to NYC

Agreed....finding a good place to park then spending time traveling to/from the car isn't worth it, especially for a 1 day trip when you can split the parking costs.

Philadelphia, PA
reviews: 4
3. Re: Getting to NYC

If not driving into NYC is a concern then I would suggest driving to Mt. Laurel (10 min from your hotel) and taking Greyhound into NYC.

Philadelphia...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Getting to NYC

I agree with the previous poster. Drive to Mt. Laurel from your hotel, park for free, and take the bus to NYC. Be sure to take an express bus. Your hotel is about 15 minutes from the bus terminal, but allow some extra time in case you get lost (the bus terminal is not marked that well and many people drive right by it.). The trip to NYC takes about 1 hour 45 minutes, and you come into the Port Authority. It's a very easy trip, and you won't have to worry about driving into the city.

South Jersey
reviews: 9
5. Re: Getting to NYC

My advice is to drive and take a train into the city. Take route 295N to exit 65 to the Hamilton train terminal. I often take this trip to go into NYC. You still get some use out of the rental car, but you will also have the ease and comfort of taking the train into NYC. Hamilton Station train will take you on the Northeast Corrider line right to Penn Station in NYC (underneath Madison Square Garden) Additionally, the train runs fairly regularly so you don't have to worry too much about train times. You can get more info at www.njtransit.com. Also, you're rental car is safe ans sound in a suburban lot. I hope this helps!!!

Cairo, Egypt
6. Re: Getting to NYC

Go to the New Jersey transit website and find a station that is close to Cherry Hill. You can take the commuter train directly into Penn Station from some places in NJ. I usually drive to the Princeton Junction station, park my car for $3/24 hour period and take the train into NYC. It costs about $26 round trip per ticket. It takes about 1 hour or so on the train. It is way easier than driving anywhere near NYC. Good luck and Have fun!

7. Re: Getting to NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 am, August 19, 2009