We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking/Transportation

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland, U.S.A.
reviews: 22
Parking/Transportation

I am coming to the King Tut exhibit at the Franklin Institute this spring.

Are there any suburban parking lots where I can park my car (preferably free) and take a train or bus into the city? I am coming from Baltimore so I'll be coming up I-95. Perhaps traffic and parking in the city are not a problem?

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 26
1. Re: Parking/Transportation

Are you coming only for the day?

Lynn

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
reviews: 79
2. Re: Parking/Transportation

Traffic is usually not a problem, but when will you be traveling (day and time)?

You can shoot up 95, get off at 676 west, take that about 2 miles to 22nd street exit (Parkway/Museums, it's the second exit on 676, and it comes up without much warning on the right), make a right at the top of the ramp, make the first right onto Ben Franklin Parkway, make the first right onto 21st Street, and you are at the Franklin Institute. Go about 100 feet and the garage entrance is on your left. No big deal, unless you hit 676 during rush hour, but you probably won't be...

Alexandria, VA
reviews: 54
3. Re: Parking/Transportation

I echo owlyn's suggestion. If you're going to be driving anyway, you may as well ride all the way up to the Franklin Institute. Travelling up I-95, you wouldn't be too far from SEPTA's R2 Regional Rail. However, once you pay for a round trip ticket ($9-11) and a required minimal parking fee ($1 for 24 hours, I think?) you may as well kick in the extra $10 or so that the garage next to the science museum may charge. Just avoid arriving and departing during rush hour and you should be fine.

Tony

Collegeville, PA
reviews: 4
4. Re: Parking/Transportation

I concur with the previous posters. I work a couple of blocks from the Franklin Institute & have parked in the Institute's garage many times. It is fully enclosed & has direct access to the museum. Parking should not run more than $14 for the entire day-get your parking ticket validated inside the museum for a discount.

Check the museum's website at www.fi.edu (Click on Visitor Guide tab) for more details.

Michael B.

Westfield, NJ
reviews: 7
5. Re: Parking/Transportation

If you get their early enough, or are lucky, you may be able to score one of the meters on the streets around the Institute. I got a 4-hour meter one block away that cost me 75 cents an hour (take quarters). I don't know if they ticket for meter feeding, but that is of course an option for longer stays.

Meters in the area run between one hour to 12 hours. Plan on staying for at least two hours just to see King Tut, and add another hour at least if you want to see the planetarium (Stars of the Pharaohs) show which is a good intro to the exhibit. Keep in mind that there are also waits just to pick up or buy the tickets at times.

philadelphia, pa
reviews: 11
6. Re: Parking/Transportation

I live around the corner from the FI ~ boy has it been busy! First, all of the lots in the area have jacked up the parking prices significantly. Meters are very difficult to find, due to to the increased number of people. Definitely steer clear of the FI lot. I would suggest parking closer to Reading terminal & walking ( or taking a cab) up. HTH!

7. Re: Parking/Transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, August 25, 2009