We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Philadelphia

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 125
First time in Philadelphia

I'm coming over to the U.S on a business trip and will be in Philadelphia for only one night only 28th September.

I have a meeting at Cape May on 29th September and will be driven there by a U.S. colleague.

Can any locals recommend a good quality (4* up) hotel suitable for a female travelling alone on business? Also, somewhere which is quite central and not too far from the airport if possible.

Thank you!

Mia

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
reviews: 24
1. Re: First time in Philadelphia

Hi:

If you want to try to see some of the major historical sites during your short stay, I'd probably look at the Omni Hotel at Independence Park first. It's a great location. Next, I'd probably look at the Marriott Downtown and the Sofitel. They're not quite as convenient to the sites, but they are nice hotels. Enjoy your stay.

Philadelphia...
reviews: 108
2. Re: First time in Philadelphia

Here are the 4/5 * hotels in Philly:

Sofitel

Four Seasons

The Rittenhouse

Omni Hotel Independence Park

Hyatt Regency Penn's Landing

Westin Philadelphia

Ritz Carlton Philadelphia

Loews Philadelphia

Park Hyatt at the Bellevue

I think that may be it for all the major hotels. Didn't include the Rittenhouse B&B, don't know if that is of interest to you, but apparently it is very nice.

All of the above mentioned hotels would be suitable for females traveling alone on business. The Four Seasons, Rittenhouse and Ritz Carlton are the 5* hotel - if you can get a decent price, pick one of these, I doubt you'll be disappointed. The Four Seasons is my favorite hotel in Philadelphia.

Insofar as the other hotels are concerned, I have stayed at the Park Hyatt at the Bellevue and it is a really lovely property, right in center city Philly. If you want to be more more in the historic district, the Omni is a nice property, but they have been renovating their pool/spa and I don't know if it is open as yet (sometime in September, I believe.) The Hyatt at Penn's Landing is a nice property and Philly's only hotel on the waterfront. Loews is a more modern kind of hotel. Sofitel always gets great recommendations, but I have not stayed there. I think the Westin is in need of a renovation -- it use to be the Ritz Carlton before they moved to their location on South Broad Street.

Let me know if you have further questions and good luck!

Suzanne

Philadelphia, PA
reviews: 3
3. Re: First time in Philadelphia

If you are arriving at PHL and only have limited time and accessibility. You can stay at the Airport Marriot. It is connected to the airport and can be accessed from terminal C. You do not need to take a taxi, public transportation or rent a car. If you did want to visit the city you can hop the Septa R-1 train from your hotel to Center City Philadelphia. Check out schedules at www.septa.org

Philadelphia
reviews: 12
4. Re: First time in Philadelphia

All downtown hotels will be fairly far from the airport. There are hotels closer to the airport, but they're obviously going to be a bit isolated from the city and anything to do. There is a hotel that's actually attached to the airport, the Marriott Philadelphia Airport, for maximum convenience. Since Cape May's quite south (and east, of course) of Philadelphia and the airport, that might actually work out better for whoever's driving the next day.

Downtown, the Loews is a beautiful restored art deco tower on Market St, which is a busy shopping area during the day and a little quiet at night. The Omni is a lovely pile of a hotel located in the historic area and convenient to the resturants and stores of Old City. If you'd like a place where it's very tempting to slip out on your one night in town and go for a drink or out to explore in the evening, the hotels near Rittenhouse Square and Independence Park have the most people, stores and restaurants in the immediate vicinity.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 26
5. Re: First time in Philadelphia

Center City is a 10 to 15 minute cab ride from the airport. Definitely stay downtown.

Lynn

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
reviews: 30
6. Re: First time in Philadelphia

Stay downtown. Philly is a very walkable city. With only one night here, you won't want to spend any additional time commuting to a hotel near the airport.

The Four Seasons is fabulous. My husband and I recently stayed there and can't say enough about the service. The only problem with the Four Seasons is that you won't want to leave the hotel! If you are trying to maximize your time at the historic sites, I would choose one of the hotels closer to that district. The Omni or Sheraton Society Hill are both nice hotels. The Loews or Marriott Center City would also be good choices. They are only a 6 block walk to the historic district and about an 8 to 10 walk block to the restaurants near Rittenhouse Square.

Good luck and have a great time. Moms

London
reviews: 125
7. Re: First time in Philadelphia

Wow what a lot of great replies. Thanks everyone for your comments. My US colleague recommended Hyatt at Penns Landing so I'm booked in there. It looks a very nice hotel. Can anyone comment on their restaurants/facilities? (I will check out the reviews too).

Unfortunately I don't know how much time I'll have to see the City :-( Perhaps it will just be a taster until I can get back for longer (or on vacation). I'll arrive mid afternoon on 28th and check out the next day.

Thanks again for all your thoughts. I'm going to save the recommendations posted here for the future.

Mia

Philadelphia...
reviews: 108
8. Re: First time in Philadelphia

The Hyatt at Penn's Landing is a nice property. I've stayed there 2x in the last year and have been pleased each time. It is close to Old City (with tons of restaurants/bars) and the historic district. There is a restaurant - Keatings - which is nice with an outdoor deck, but I've only ever had drinks there, we've never eaten there (honestly, with all the choices in Old City, I think it is probably mediocre.) There is also a coffee bar in the mornings that serves Starbucks coffee. There is an indoor pool on the 9th floor (I believe, if memory serves me correctly) that is nice. Women's locker room was clean with a nice sauna. There is also a very good fitness facility. We did not eat breakfast at the hotel, but I do recall looking at the room service menu and seeing that the prices were the same as what they charged in the dining room (although the dining room prices were fairly inflated.) If you can get a room with a water view, it is especially nice - I'd ask when you get there.

Let me know if you'd like restaurant recommendations in Old City.

Suzanne

9. Re: First time in Philadelphia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:24 am, August 24, 2009