We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1-day, 6-hour visit to Philly itinerary help please?

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Crandall, Texas
reviews: 22
1-day, 6-hour visit to Philly itinerary help please?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you could give. We are a family of 4 (43 y/o adults w/ 15 & 14 teens) coming for our first time to Philly and only have a few hours on a SATURDAY in July to visit. Does this itinerary seem doable? We are staying in a Springhill Suites near the airport, and then driving to NYC immediately upon leaving. Thanks again:

8:00 - Leave hotel and arrive in Center City

8:30 - Parking Garage near I-95 and Chestnut/Market St area (any suggestions?)

9:00 - timed ticket for Independence Hall tour

10:30-12:30 - Free Tours by Foot Historical Philadelphia Tour

12:30 - Walk to Reading Terminal for lunch

1:30 - Get to Museum of Art, Rocky Steps, etc., walk back by Franklin Museum

*****My ??? here is how to best get to Museum of Art from Reading Terminal? I've tried looking at SEPTA bus/trolley schedules and can't figure it out - any help here would be GREATLY appreciated!)

3:00 - Take trolley or bus (again, which one near Franklin Museum) back to parking garage near Market/Chestnut/I-95.

4:00 - Leave for NYC

Help with the trolley/bus # would be much appreciated. Thanks again for your help.

12 replies to this topic
Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 125
1. Re: 1-day, 6-hour visit to Philly itinerary help please?

With 4 people I think it would be more efficient and not much more expensive to simply cab it from RTM to the Art Museum. Same for heading back from the Franklin Institute. Each ride in the $10-12 dollar range. Given your limited time I think that is the best solution for you.

We usually recommend parking at the PPA garage on second street. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60795-c122514/Philad…

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 60
2. Re: 1-day, 6-hour visit to Philly itinerary help please?

That seems pretty doable if a bit rushed for lunch. And I agree, cab would be the best way to get back. That said, unless you are going IN the FI front court, there's not a lot of reason to walk past it.

Crandall, Texas
3. Re: 1-day, 6-hour visit to Philly itinerary help please?

Loonbean, yes, we just wanted to walk inside the front entryway for a pic or two of the statue/inside area. Thanks to both of you for your help.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 26
4. Re: 1-day, 6-hour visit to Philly itinerary help please?

Be aware, there is the Franklin Institute (science museum) and the Franklin Museum in Franklin Court (everything Ben Franklin). The first is near the Art Museum, the second is in Old City.

Ohio
reviews: 6
5. Re: 1-day, 6-hour visit to Philly itinerary help please?

We are also planning on doing Independence Hall Tour and Free Tours by Foot Historical Tour after arriving and parking. Trouble is NPS web site says you need to pick tickets up 45 minutes before tour or they will release to walk up visitors. That means you would want to park 7:45 -8:00 to get tickets by 8:15 for a 9:00 tour. That's moving pretty early in work traffic so we may take the 1:30 tour instead. We will have to think about as would definitely be cooler at 10:30 tour. We have 2 whole days so hope to take their Philly tour also. Might get the 9:00 tickets and take the chance we will be there. If too late can always get tickets for later that day. Only 2 of us so $3.00 lost. Never been to downtown Philly so looking forward to it. Enjoy your visit.

reviews: 13
6. Re: 1-day, 6-hour visit to Philly itinerary help please?

There is a parking garage right under Independence Mall, entrance on 6th between Market and Chestnut. You can take the Philly Phlash from in front of the Visitor's Center (on Market, between 5th and 6th). I believe that a whole-day pass is $5 per person, and it takes you to Reading Terminal Market, Art Museum, (all the museums, in fact, and past most of the " important" highlights on a continuous loop), runs about every 15 minutes.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 60
7. Re: 1-day, 6-hour visit to Philly itinerary help please?

They are not super strict about the 45 minutes unless very busy. or if avail they will give you tickets for a later one.

Crandall, Texas
8. Re: 1-day, 6-hour visit to Philly itinerary help please?

Lynn-thanks for that info...I think we are headed for the institute.

DebOhio-we are actually doing the Indep Hall on a Saturday! Which I hope will make travel to center city easier from airport.

Sheryl-I need to look into Pflash-thanks for that &'parking garage info.

Loon beam, thanks for the late tip

Houston, Texas
reviews: 298
9. Re: 1-day, 6-hour visit to Philly itinerary help please?

How is the Free Tours by Foot Historical Philadelphia Tour

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 125
10. Re: 1-day, 6-hour visit to Philly itinerary help please?

TA reviews- link here tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60795-d20…

Reply to: 1-day, 6-hour visit to Philly itinerary help please?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted