We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Franklin Court reopened!

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 26
Franklin Court reopened!

Franklin Court (part of Independence National Historical Park) reopened today!!! My trusted sources tell me the newly renovated museum is excellent. I'll stop in within the week and report back.

Lynn

Philadelphia
reviews: 17
1. Re: Franklin Court reopened!

YES!! Good news. Always 1 of my favorite places to take visitors, & more so when there are children are involved. It had gotten rundown, & the renovation was definitely needed. Can't wait to get my grandson & greatnephew there!

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 60
2. Re: Franklin Court reopened!

Hopefully heading there tomorrow. Worth noting, there is nw an 'interpretive fee' - basically admission. $5 per adult.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 60
3. Re: Franklin Court reopened!

Visited the new museum on Monday - I'm not quite sure whether I like it or not.

It's a very different approach to the previous design where everything was shoved up against the walls and you had that big diarama in the middle. Here, its broken down into smaller themed areas on an open plan.

The artifacts are displayed much better and there are more interactive elements, but one of the charms of the old museum was its quirky (and often malfunctioning) displays).

In short, the content is better, but the character is missing a bit.

Interesting side note, we were talking to one of the park staff who had been there forever. For those who remember the "Dial a Famous person" phones, apparently children had no idea how to use them anymore at all (they were rotary dial with handsets). Some didn't even realize they were phones.

Philadelphia
reviews: 16
4. Re: Franklin Court reopened!

Thanks for your insight Loonbeam. I also really liked your last comments about the phones.

Edited: 10:57 pm, August 28, 2013
Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
reviews: 54
5. Re: Franklin Court reopened!

Ditto!

My puzzled grandkids have asked me:

Why do they say "dial" a phone number; or "type" in what you write on a computer?

How quickly expressions come and go. OK, I am off to check the time on my sundial.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 26
6. Re: Franklin Court reopened!

Two and a half years ago I spoke to my daughter's class about early Philadelphia. We got on the subject of dissemination of information and the printing press. One kid asked, "Didn't there used to be some little machine where you pushed buttons and and something would pop up and put letters on the paper?"

7. Re: Franklin Court reopened!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 31, 2014