We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another US Open Question

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ardmore, Oklahoma
reviews: 44
Another US Open Question

Sadly my planned trip to DC has fallen through but I'd still like to go to a Monday practice round at Merion. I don't have a lot of time so Im thinking of flying into PHL on a Sunday night, going to the course on Monday and flying out on Tuesday. I do not want to rent a car and I have found a great deal on a flight/airport hotel combo. The hotel has a free airport shuttle. Would it be possible for me to hop on the hotel's airport shuttle Monday morning ( it runs frequently) and go back to the airport to catch a train to the course from there? Is the train station easy to access at the airport? Would this trip require many train changes? I'd appreciate any advice about the practicality of such a plan.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
reviews: 79
1. Re: Another US Open Question

Yes, it is easy to pick up a train at the airport. Have the shuttle drop you off at arrivals for terminal B. Go inside, up one level, and head over the bridge towards the garage. You will see signs pointing you to the SEPTA train. Trains originating at the airport don't go towards Ardmore, so get off the train at 30th Street Station, and transfer to a Bryn Mawr, Paoli or Thorndale train. Tell the conductor your are going to the Ardmore station, and need a round trip ticket. He should sell you the least costly option. You will probably arrive on track 5, but you would need to catch your train to Merion on track 3 or 4, so you will need to switch to the next platform. Be careful, there are three platforms, and the tracks are not in the expected order at 30th Street. The order is 1,2:5,6:3,4.

Note that trains can be on a different track than normal, so be sure to check the board, or ask at the SEPTA information desk (bottom of the steps from tracks 5/6.)

Edited: 6:32 am, April 29, 2013
Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 125
2. Re: Another US Open Question

The route that Owlyn suggests will work as long as you are prepared to walk about a mile and a half from the Ardmore station of the Paoli Thorndale line to the golf course itself. There may be shuttles operating from the station, but nothing has been announced.

A route that will get you closer to the course was described by the SEPTA representative on another thread, and I'll repost it here:

"The closest, and really only feasible, public transportation near Merion Golf Club is the Norristown High Speed Line (a high speed trolley, formerly known as Route 100). The Norristown High Speed Line operates bewtween Norristown Transportation Center and 69th Street Transportation Center (in Upper Darby, right outside of West Philadelphia and easily accessed by the subway system).

The closest station/stop is Ardmore Avenue Station. From there, Merion Golf Club is about a 5 minute walk south on Ardmore Ave. Other than that there are buses are nowhere near as close and run infrequently.

http://www.septa.org/maps/transit/nhsl.html

www.septa.org/schedules/transit/pdf/nhsl.pdf

I suspect there will be service modifications and adjustments to accomodate this event."

source: SEPTA tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60795-i113-k55134…

Edited: 7:39 am, April 29, 2013
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 8
3. Re: Another US Open Question

I suggest you buy an Independence Pass from the conductor on the train from the airport to 30th Street. The pass is $11 and will cover your train travel all day. It will be significantly cheaper than getting round-trip tickets for both the airport train and the Paoli/Thorndale/Bryn Mawr train.

Newtown, PA
reviews: 266
4. Re: Another US Open Question

The USGA is running a shuttle from the Rosemont train station to the course if one doesn't want to walk the mile plus from the Ardmore station. Rosemont is a couple stops past Ardmore if heading out from the city.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 8
5. Re: Another US Open Question

Relayer, thanks for posting about the shuttles. We've had a couple of posters ask about going to the U.S. Open, so I think people have been waiting for that info.

Here is the link to the official U.S. Open site's info about shuttles from SEPTA and complimentary parking lots:

usopen.com/mobile/…index.html

OP, to get to the Rosemont station, where you can get the shuttle to the golf course, you'll still take the Paoli/Thorndale line from 30th Street as Owlyn described -- but you cannot take the trains that only go as far as Bryn Mawr. You need a Paoli/Thorndale train. Here is the schedule:

www.septa.org/schedules/rail/pdf/tho.pdf

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 125
6. Re: Another US Open Question

Thanks for finding that link, Lauren. I also asked the SEPTA social media rep to post on the thread to confirm the shuttle information from the Rosemont station.

Apparently there will be free shuttle bus service from the remote parking areas at PPL Park and Rose Tree Media.

usopen.com/en_US/…travel

Edited: 8:40 am, April 30, 2013
Ardmore, Oklahoma
reviews: 44
7. Re: Another US Open Question

Thanks to everyone for the info. I appreciate the help.

8. Re: Another US Open Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 03, 2014