We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheesesteak Question after reading FAQ

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ny
reviews: 32
Cheesesteak Question after reading FAQ

Last visit we went to Campos based on advice from this forum and the steaks were yummy but the atmosphere was basically like a delicatessen with tables. It was perfect for our summer visit, we sat outside and enjoyed the evening.

This time is hubby's birthday and I'd like suggestions for something a bit nicer. We will be staying in the historical area.

Are there any restaurants that serve a great cheesesteak with waitress service? We are traveling with a four year old so nothing too upscale.

Thanks for any suggestions, they are much appreciated.

Edited: 7:53 pm, February 21, 2013
Philadelphia...
reviews: 90
1. Re: Cheesesteak Question after reading FAQ

Not that I can think of. Cheesesteak shops in general are counter service. I'm sure there are some restaurants with cheesesteaks on the menu. But not the real thing.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
reviews: 73
2. Re: Cheesesteak Question after reading FAQ

To paraphrase Abraham Lincoln (barely), you can get a great cheesesteak, or you can get waitress service, but you can't get a waitress to bring you a great cheesesteak.

Go to Jim's, 4th & South. Get your cheesesteaks and head upstairs.

Edited: 9:51 pm, February 21, 2013
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 26
3. Re: Cheesesteak Question after reading FAQ

Has anyone had a cheesesteak at Moriarty's? I haven't but I think of that as a likely choice.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 53
4. Re: Cheesesteak Question after reading FAQ

I have, their cheesesteaks (Moriarity's) are ok, nothing special.

When it comes down to it, a cheesesteak is really street food and doesn't translate in its native form to a sitdown experience.

The best idea I've got is a sports bar, like Chickie and Pete's but that probably won't work with the little one.

Phila PA
reviews: 191
5. Re: Cheesesteak Question after reading FAQ

Eulogy Tavern has a decent cheesesteak in that area. It's not a classic Philly cheese steak but it's a good sandwich.

If you're going to be around the Italian Market area I might recommend a place like Santucci's at the corner of 10th & Christian Sts. They have waitress service, cheesteaks, burgers & really good pizza.

lehigh valley
reviews: 9
6. Re: Cheesesteak Question after reading FAQ

well. theres always Barclay Primes cheesesteak ww.barclayprime

wagyu beef, truffled cheese wiz and foie gras Its $100

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 127
7. Re: Cheesesteak Question after reading FAQ

I agree with owlyn.

The set of "Nice restaurants for hubby's birthday" does not intersect with the set "places to get a good cheesesteak."

Phila PA
reviews: 191
8. Re: Cheesesteak Question after reading FAQ

This one would require a cab ride, but it is one of my favorite neighborhood gastropubs. South Phila Tap Room has great cheesteak sliders, waitress service & is kid friendly

southphiladelphiataproom.com/sptr_menu.pdf

The fried peanut butter & jelly for dessert is decandent

9. Re: Cheesesteak Question after reading FAQ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 24, 2014