We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philadelphia or Washington DC

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 13
Philadelphia or Washington DC

Hi I am planning to take my 2 nephews on a mini weekend vacation Labor Day weekend. They boys are 5 and 7. The seven year old is starting to learn a little about American History. I have been to both places many times. We are on a budget and I want to show the boys a good interesting fun time. Thanks for any suggestions in helping me decide.

Philadelphia
reviews: 12
1. Re: Philadelphia or Washington DC

This is just my opinion but with just a weekend, you can see more in DC than Philly and if I personally had my choice, I would go to DC even if I had more time. The Smithsonian and Air and Space Museum would take the whole day and be very interesting and the monuments, White House and other government buildings could be another day.

WIth Philly, you could be downtown and see a lot but then to see Valley Forge and say Gettysburg (which I am sure will be suggested but pretty far out of your way for just a weekend); you have to cover more ground.

My only suggestion if it is possible is to take the train (Amtrak). I lived in the DC area and I still find it difficult to navigate. Then parking becomes a factor in both cities. My last plan to go to DC was to find a "metro station", the public trans, outside of the city and then take the metro in and out to avoid the city itself and the beltway (495) which can be congested at any point of the day.

Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 13
2. Re: Philadelphia or Washington DC

Thank you so much for the advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 125
3. Re: Philadelphia or Washington DC

There is certainly a lot to see and do in DC though Philly is closer and a bit more manageable, I think, for those ages. If you've been here many times, then you probably know what all the attractions are, but just in case you need a refresher here is the link to kid friendly activities

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20380-Philadel…

you might also like this list tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i3307-Yo_Philly…

Edited: 10:33 am, August 10, 2012
4. Re: Philadelphia or Washington DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, August 21, 2013