We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner - with kids - Saturday night ?

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa
reviews: 23
Dinner - with kids - Saturday night ?

I read the FAQ and dining articles and they are generally pretty good but I didn't see a recommendation for my question - after a day in central Philadelphia, are there any recommendations for a good restaurant for a family with kids (aged 7 to 12)?

I'm thinking of something that's probably not part of a chain, a sit-down and order from a waiter/waitress sort of place, neither fancy nor a splurge in terms of expenses but it doesn't have to be a bargain either. If it's decent food I'm OK with paying a little more than usual on a family vacation. It would be nice if we left with something to remember - either enjoyable food, or an interesting decor, or just a fun experience.

And the type of food is wide open, my kids are pretty open-minded about food. But we'll be at a Chinese banquet Sunday night, so that's crossed off the list for Saturday. :-)

Anywhere in the central part of the city would be great, but at the end of the day we'll be driving back to our hotel (in Radnor, for the banquet mentioned earlier) anyway so as long as the drive to dinner isn't an ordeal or hours out of our way, that would also be fine.

I like the ideas of mussels at Monk's and my kids would go for mussels and fries - is it a restaurant suitable for kids? I think that a place that mentions beer before food might not be. But if it's anything like Belgo Centraal in London, that would be a restaurant they'd talk about for ages.

Ideas? Comments?

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
reviews: 73
1. Re: Dinner - with kids - Saturday night ?

My suugestion would be Jones, 7th & Chestnut.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 53
2. Re: Dinner - with kids - Saturday night ?

There's no problem with kids at Monk's if they like the menu.

Perhaps Dim Sum at the Imperial Inn in Chinatown?

Philadelphia...
reviews: 108
3. Re: Dinner - with kids - Saturday night ?

I have kids 9 and 12. We dine in the city frequently with them. The place they have always talked about the most is El Vez. It's a Stephen Starr restaurant, Mexican, and while not cheap, it's not out of control, either.

They also love Villa di Roma in South Philly (red gravy Italian) and Bistro Romano (Italian, as well...but wonderful 18th century granary setting.) They do have a children's menu.

Hope that helps - let me know if you have questions.

Suzanne

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 127
4. Re: Dinner - with kids - Saturday night ?

Loonbeam- surprised you did not mention Max Brenner! Chocolate themed menu would be fun for kids. http://www.maxbrenner.com/

There's also Marrakesh- a Morrocan restaurant where you sit on pillows and eat with your fingers http://marrakesheastcoast.com/

Dave and Busters would also be fun http://www.daveandbusters.com/

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 53
5. Re: Dinner - with kids - Saturday night ?

I only didn't put Max down because of A> can be pricey (recommend them for Lunch/Brunch actually) and B> the seven year old will never make it past the dessert menu!

That said, I still love the place!

I did miss the Chinese Banquet part tho, so take Dim Sum off the list, sorry!

It's a chain but Melting Pot is always fun with Fondue.

Because of the small plates, I'd also consider tapas at Amada but the price can ramp up quick!

I should point out there's always a good old Philly Cheesesteak! (or is that lunch?)

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
6. Re: Dinner - with kids - Saturday night ?

Bistro Romano has its fans but I am certainly not one of them. Very overpriced Italian and food is nothing special.

El Vez is a favorite of mine too, though the place can get really noisy on a Saturday night. Go early if you can.

Edited: 10:43 pm, October 04, 2010
Ottawa
7. Re: Dinner - with kids - Saturday night ?

Great suggestions everybody, thanks. Our short list will be Monk's, El Vez, Jones, and maybe Dave and Busters - they all look like they have the

makings of a memorable evening, so I'll have the details for each of them

and we'll make a decision that day. I'm especially pleased that other

than Monk's, these aren't places I would have found in guide books or

in online guides.

And yes, it'll be an early dinner, after a long day of tourism both kids and

adults need dinner before the normal time.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 26
8. Re: Dinner - with kids - Saturday night ?

Dave and Buster's has its fans, but I'm not one of them. It's a huge chain with mediocre food. If you really want the amusements, then go, but you'll get much better food elsewhere.

Lynn

Ottawa
9. Re: Dinner - with kids - Saturday night ?

That's what I figured, thanks. I'm keeping it in the back pocket for the

amusements, just in case (not likely) the rest of the day ends up poorly

for the kids. I don't know what could happen that would make me choose

it, but just in case...

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
10. Re: Dinner - with kids - Saturday night ?

yes, Dave and Busters was recommended for the amusements rather than the food (although if you stick with burgers and such its just fine), It was recommended by me because you mentioned you wanted to have a "fun experience" they would remember. If they have not been to a Dave and Busters before, that would certainly qualify.

Edited: 7:34 am, October 06, 2010