We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philly Cheese steak

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
reviews: 22
Philly Cheese steak

What is the best place to grab a Philly Cheese Steak sub closest to the 30th street station? I have a small window of time to grab one before continuing my trip so walking is the only mode of travel between connections. I don't even eat meat but I want to try an authentic one as a specialty - any suggestions?

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 127
1. Re: Philly Cheese steak

How long is your small window of time?

If you have say 40 minutes and it is a nice day, I would think of walking to the Penn Campus area where there are always lots of food trucks. That might involve a 10-15 minute walk. I don't know exactly where the trucks are but I think approximately around 33rd and 34th St and Walnut.

There are food vendors right in 30th St but I don't know if there is a cheesesteak place in there. There is also an Irish Pub, Slainte, on Market St across from the station. It might be possible to get a cheesesteak in there but probably would not be as authentic as one from a food truck.

Honestly if you don't eat meat I am not sure it is worth it!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 27
2. Re: Philly Cheese steak

IMO, a cheesesteak is great if you're famished or have been drinking. Otherwise, it's good but there are many foods that taste much better.

Lynn

Long Island, NY
reviews: 3
3. Re: Philly Cheese steak

For out of towners, a cheesesteak is required. When you live in Philly, it's easy to take it for granted.

Glen Mills...
reviews: 33
4. Re: Philly Cheese steak

My favorite cheesesteaks in the whole Philly area are at Abner's, which is right on Penn's campus (and therefore right near 30th Street Station). The restaurant is at 38th and Chestnut and you can't beat their cheesesteaks. It's about a 20 minute walk. From the station, take 30th Street to Market St. Turn right on Market and it's about 3/4 of a mile to 38th street, where you'll turn left and walk 2 blocks to Chestnut. Would be a quick and easy cab ride or you could take the LUCY Green Loop bus from JFK and 30th Street to 37th and Market and then walk to 38th and Chestnut from there.

Good luck! If you have the stamina, try their criss cut cheese fries while you're at it (bring your own defibrillator!).

Saint Simons...
reviews: 35
5. Re: Philly Cheese steak

I live in Chester County part of year and grew up in Philly. The cheesesteak has a love/hate relationship with the local population. My problem is a long digestion process. That is alot of food. I get them about three times a year, maybe four, OK five. Then I'm looking for somebody to split it with me. Then we discuss grilled onions, yes, then sweet or hot peppers, no or on the side, then extra cheese, yes. It gets complicated and if you add an out of towner, they're lost. I will get booed but I like Tony Lukes (more for the pork) but also for the steak and also alot of places at the Jersey shore who have great steaks, don't kill me. The summer season is coming up and the Jersey forum is filled with gambling. Just thought I would give the shops down there a nod.

6. Re: Philly Cheese steak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, October 27, 2010