We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SEPTA Strike (and Taxi Availability)

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
reviews: 4
SEPTA Strike (and Taxi Availability)

We're going to Philadelphia this weekend. We're prepared to do a lot of walking, but we can't walk from the airport. Are taxis generally available from the airport during the strike? (Do we need to arrange for a car service to get to Society Hill/ Historic District from the Airport?)

Are taxis in short supply now in Center City and the Historic District?

Thanks for your help.

Alexandria, VA
reviews: 44
1. Re: SEPTA Strike (and Taxi Availability)

Taxis are plentiful at the airport. I recall a $20 flat fee from the airport to Center City, although gas prices may have increased that rate somewhat. You will just have more competition for a taxi once you get to downtown. And you may find it is faster to walk if the gridlock is like what I've seen in the past.

Atlanta, GA
2. Re: SEPTA Strike (and Taxi Availability)

Thanks so much!

Philadelphia...
3. Re: SEPTA Strike (and Taxi Availability)

FYI - the strike doesn't impact the regional rail service which is what operates out of the airport. I'd recommend that option.

Atlanta, GA
4. Re: SEPTA Strike (and Taxi Availability)

Thanks. The closest stop to where we're staying is Market East. It's probably 14 blocks away which might not be a fun walk at night with luggage. Would it be hard to get a cab at the airport because of the SEPTA strike?

Philadelphia...
5. Re: SEPTA Strike (and Taxi Availability)

No, you'll be able to get a cab easily from the airport. If you don't mind me asking, where are you staying?

Atlanta, GA
6. Re: SEPTA Strike (and Taxi Availability)

Society Hill Sheraton (with luggage, a little far from the Regional Rail stops).

Thanks for your help. I was getting concerned about getting stranded at the airport.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 26
7. Re: SEPTA Strike (and Taxi Availability)

Take the cab from the airport. You'll have a tougher time getting one at Market East and taking the train plus the cab you won't save that much money.

Atlanta, GA
8. Re: SEPTA Strike (and Taxi Availability)

Thanks to all for your advice. My concerns about finding cabs were not warranted. There were plenty of cabs (and no lines for cabs) at the airport. Cabs were also easy to find in Center City and anywhere near hotels or the historic district. We even had no proiblems getting cabs in University City and at the Wachovia Center after a Flyers game.

Philadelphia...
9. Re: SEPTA Strike (and Taxi Availability)

What did you do in University City?

Philadelphia...
10. Re: SEPTA Strike (and Taxi Availability)

Nevermind - just read that you're a Penn alum.