We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary Dinner

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
reviews: 5
Anniversary Dinner

My wife is going to be working in Philadelphia for our anniversary, so I plan to fly over there from Houston on the afternoon of our anniversary and fly back early the next morning. What would be a good place for us to have dinner? Niether of us has ever been to Philly, so we really have no clue as to where to go. We would like to go to a nice restaurant ($100 or so for dinner for two) in a good part of town so that we can walk around after dinner. Any suggestions or personal favorites would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Philadelphia, PA
reviews: 1
1. Re: Anniversary Dinner

There are not many areas to walk around at night in Phila... it depends on the neighborhood. My husband and I love a little restaurant in the Rittenhouse Square area called "Friday Saturday Sunday." It's been there for about 30 years on the corner of 21st and Pine. It's a small quaint restaurant.. has had the same owners all these years. You can both eat for under $100 with drinks. They have a small aquarium bar upstairs on the 2nd floor. It's a very popular restaurant so you should make reservations well in advance. We used to live in the city and went there every year on our anniversary.. we're about to celebrate our 28th!! We now live in the suburbs, but we still go into town to eat at Fri Sat Sun. It's still our fav.

For evening walking around: In the nice weather, you'll see people walking around in the Society Hill neighborhood.

Also, on the first Friday evening of every month entrance is free to galleries in the "Old City" neighborhood. Fun to walk around there.

Have a nice dinner and Happy Anniversary!

Philly
2. Re: Anniversary Dinner

Hi,

there are 3 areas in Philadelphia that are not asleep after dark:

1. Rittenhouse Square area - outdoor restaurants, when the weather gets warm, it gets very busy. You can walk down Walnut Street from there and do some window shopping (all stores close at 7, except for Wednesday when it is 9 I think).

2. Old City area - that would be between Market and Chestunt and 4 and Front street. Lots of restaurants there, some with outdoor seating. Not much too look when you walk around, except for other people and if you lucky enough to be there on the first Friday (the galleries are open late).

3. South Street - this is Philadelphia's version of the West Village in NY I guess. Lots of weirdo shops and bars and pierced people all around. Stores stay open late there, so if you want to take a walk, probably the most to look at.

Do a search on www.citysearch.com for the restaurants in those areas. What kind of food are you looking for? Are you looking for a romantic place?

Philadelphia, PA
3. Re: Anniversary Dinner

Oh yeah... I forgot about South Street. It's an experience! You can walk around on South Street between Front and 6th.

Houston, Texas
4. Re: Anniversary Dinner

Well, it will be a Wed. night, so forget walking around. We are more interested in the restaurants anyway. We will look into the one place mentioned, are there any more we should look into? We really like all sorts of food and I suppose sort of romantic would be good. Thanks for the info!

Philly
5. Re: Anniversary Dinner

Those are my suggestions then:

Django on 4th Street near South Street. It is BYOB, so you can bring your own wine and save some money. The food is very very good, and then you can still take a walk on South Street. Make sure you call for reservations early. It's small and cosy which I guess would make it quite romantic.

In Old City (South Street is a walkable distance from Old City, about 6 blocks) I would suggest Buddakan or Cuba Libre or Continental. Just what I know/remember there, there are plenty other restaurants there and I have not been to all of them, but I've been to those three and I like them. Although they are not very romantic, more of "places to be seen". Oh, and I like Fork there too, and that one is probably more romantic.

If you go to Old City, on Wednesday night you can park in the garage on 2nd Street (between Chestnut and Walnut) for just 1 buck. It is right in the middle of it all.

BTW, there is a jazz/blues place in Old City called Warmdaddys. It is a restaurant too. I thought that may be fun for a special occasion, to listen to some music with your dinner. I have never been there, so I cannot say much how the food is. Maybe somebody else has an experience?

Alexandria, VA
reviews: 42
6. Re: Anniversary Dinner

I've been to Warmdaddy's a couple of times. I like the food a lot and if you get in before 8:oo or so when an act is playing, they won't charge a cover. Zanizbar Blue is in a similar vein, music wise, below the Park Hyatt Bellevue hotel and Broad and Chestnut.

All of the restaurants mentioned are great, popular choices. Jlacom, you may also want to consider The Astral Plane on 17th and Lombard. I've found it to be a quiet and romantic spot. You might also like Le Jardin at 18th and Locust. As the name implies, meals are served in a secluded garden outside. If you'd like to throw in a little history into your celebration, try City Tavern at 2nd and Walnut. It's my understanding that the servers dress and the food is prepared in an 18th-century American theme.

Do you know at which hotel your wife will be staying? It might minimize your walk or cab fare if we can suggest some places close to where she is staying.

Philadelphia, PA
7. Re: Anniversary Dinner

Another good romantic spot is Deux Cheminees at 12th & Locust. Check their website and menus: http://www.deuxchem.com/

Great suggestions from the group. Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Astral Plane and Le Jardin are other very nice romantic spots. Enjoy!

Philadelphia
8. Re: Anniversary Dinner

Audrey Claire is also nice, on 20th and Spruce. VERY sweet place, 8-10 tables, small and cute. It's wonderful in the Spring and Summer when they open their huge windows. There should be plenty of reviews online. Check out their menu at www.audreyclaire.com

Houston, Texas
9. Re: Anniversary Dinner

Have any of you ever eaten at the Cresheim Cottage on Germantown Avenue? It seem OK on the website and has positive reviews on CitySearch.com. It doesn't seem to be downtown, but that is OK b/c we are staying in Wayne and it appears to be only 10 or so miles from there. Any advise on this place or any other near Wayne? Thanks.

Alexandria, VA
reviews: 42
10. Re: Anniversary Dinner

Wow, Wayne is pretty far from downtown (maybe 20 miles). It probably would be easier for you and and your wife to enjoy yourselves closer to Wayne. Even Chestnut Hill, on the NW tip of the city, can be a bit of a hike if traffic is heavy.

If you like French food and want a taste of the top-rated Le Bec Fin restaurant (without RSVPing a season in advance LOL), then you may be interested in "Georges" run by renowned chef Georges Perrier. It happens to be in Wayne on Lancaster Ave (Rt. 30), the main artery of the "Main Line" area where you will be staying, so it will be easy to find. It may be good to make reservations now. (610-964-2588)

I can't think of any other places off the top of my head, but there is no shortage of eating establishments on or near Lancaster Avenue. On the flipside, the area isn't necessary conducive to the evening stroll you may have wanted.