We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Mammoth Lakes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 19
I am skiing in Mammoth in Feb for at least two weeks. Was going to go to Heavenly for two weeks but appears to be difficult to get there from Mammoth. Is Heavenly worth the hassle or do I stay the month in Mammoth.

Need help please

Neil

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 13
1. Re: Location

yes, for two weeks of skiing it's definitely worth it!!!

Your only difficulties would be if there is substantial snow making the roads impassable although I'm thinking your difficulty lies in your transportation options.

It doesn't sound like you will be renting a car. So, your choices would be a bus (I have no idea if there is one) and getting a ride from someone you meet.

Have fun.

Dr. Z

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 19
2. Re: Location

Thanks for your help

Neil

reviews: 740
3. Re: Location

I would try to go to both places if possible. Heavenly is a beautiful resort and Lake Tahoe has lots going on! :)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
4. Re: Location

I would seriously try to figure out how to get to Utah or Colorado for at least two weeks of skiing.

If you did two weeks at Lake Tahoe, it would be easier to fly to UT or CO from Reno than anyplace near Mammoth.

The skiing in California is okay, but UT & CO it is amazing because the quality of the snow is so much better. CA is too close to the ocean and the snow has a very high water content. The UT & CO resorts are higher and further so the snow is lighter and drier.

As much as I think Mammoth is a great mountain, I'd be bored with a month there. If you were in Summit County CO you could ski Breckenridge, Keystone, Arapahoe Basin and Copper Mountain easily, there is a free bus that connects them all and then Vail, Beaver Creek and Bachelor Gulch are within an hour.

Near Salt Lake City you have Park City, Deer Valley, the Canyons, Snowbird and more.

http://www.skiutah.com/

onthesnow.com/summit-county/ski-resorts.html

Edited: 12:17 pm, November 09, 2013
Santa Clara...
reviews: 17
5. Re: Location

With a month, definitely try to go to Tahoe. You can sample thr numerous resorts besides Heavenly. If you really are a KEEN skier, they are lots of options. Look into the Epic Pass. http://www.snow.com/epic-pass/passes.aspx Or you can try some of the smaller resorts.

ETA - agree with Scott!

Edited: 12:19 pm, November 09, 2013
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 21
6. Re: Location

If you're spending that much time in Mammoth, be sure to buy the pass, which ends TODAY. www.mammothmountain.com

You could go to Kirkwood, from Mammoth - it's easy to get a ride on the ride share forums. But I agree that it would be great if you could spread out to other resorts, as well. There's also the Mountain Collective pass, and of course the epic Pass.

I could easily spend a month at Mammoth, I'm curious what made you choose that mountain?

LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 1
7. Re: Location

I think you'll be totally bored with Mammoth after one week.

Then fly back to LA, fly to Reno for a week in Tahoe

Then fly to Denver for two weeks in the various Colorado places as outlined above.

8. Re: Location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 11, 2014