We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April ski/stay advice needed

Which Mammoth Lakes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
maroochydore
reviews: 3
April ski/stay advice needed

I have searched the forums but am still unclear and am hoping someone can clarify. My understanding that our best chance of snow in mid April is either Mammoth or Squaw. We would like to stay either ski in/out or a short walk to the lifts/gondola. We would also like to be easy access to bars food etc. we Will not have a car as we will be coming from Australia.

Please help sort the confusion!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 21
1. Re: April ski/stay advice needed

Mammoth has a great deal of snow in April (I consider it the best month for skiing), and often the best powder days are in April (which we sometimes call Apriluary), as well as the best bluebird spring days.

Squaw is also great in April, but a lower elevation than Mammoth, so not as much of a snow pack (although a good one, for sure).

Mammoth is not where you would do ski in/out, except at the Inn, but then you're too far from the Village, or at Sunstone and other lodging around Eagle, but then you're also not walking to bars and restaurants- but the Gondola goes from the Village and then you're right on the mountain. If you choose Mammoth, look for accommodations in the Village, or just near it. You can walk at night to everything and just hop on the gondola to ski.

There's a free shuttle, as well, that takes you to the mountain from all the condos.

maroochydore
reviews: 3
2. Re: April ski/stay advice needed

That is awesome. Thanks for shedding some light and for replying so quickly. How long does the gondola take.? ...and is it likely that there will be a reduction in lift ticket prices late in the season.....we are 2 adults and 4 kids and it seems that the mammoth ticket prices are way more expensive given we want to come for 2 weeks and need season passes? Or perhaps there is a family ticket/discount that I have not found

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
3. Re: April ski/stay advice needed

Ticket prices go down after Easter. If coming for two weeks, I suggest getting a pass which are still on sale. Also look into the Mountain Collective pass, 2 free days and then half off.

Gondola is a few minutes. All info can be found at Mammothmountain.com and visitmammoth.com

Edited: 11:38 pm, September 08, 2013
LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 1
4. Re: April ski/stay advice needed

With 4 kids for two weeks you are really going to need to rent a car.

Santa Clara...
reviews: 17
5. Re: April ski/stay advice needed

And look and ask in the forums on the Mammoth site too. How are you getting to Mammoth if you are not driving? You can get away with no car once you are there. Puter - I think it can be done but just harder with 4 kids. You would need the car for groceries shopping for the condo assuming that would be your lodging and not a hotel room. There should be good rental deals by April.

OP - is this your only CA destination? Are you flying to Mammoth?

As to Squaw vs Mammoth, I would take Mammoth as better chance of good snow in April. I have skied both Mammoth and Tahoe for many years.

Edited: 12:58 am, September 09, 2013
reviews: 740
6. Re: April ski/stay advice needed

The Westin Monache in Mammoth is adjacent to the lifts. This is a beautiful hotel with gorgeous rooms, an outdoor pool and restaurant on-site. :)

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
7. Re: April ski/stay advice needed

The Westin is lovely, indeed, but single rooms are $600/night. 2 Bedrooms are double that - however, lift tickets are included... It is not adjacent to the lifts, but is across from the above mentioned Gondola.

There are many condo rental agencies that include lift tickets - go to www.visitmammoth.com for the list of package deals.

Edited: 11:52 am, September 09, 2013
LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 1
8. Re: April ski/stay advice needed

I think you'd want a condo rather than a hotel if you are going to try to feed 4 kids. You'll probably want a 3 bedroom condo anyway.

9. Re: April ski/stay advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 11, 2014