We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will it snow in California this November 2013?

Which Mammoth Lakes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
colombo
reviews: 1
Will it snow in California this November 2013?

Hi,

I'm visiting Irvine, CA this year. But Im leaving United states on 9th November :(. I know it doesn't snow in Irvine. Can someone please tell me the nearest place in CA where I can find snow before I leave? Some googling tells me that it snows in Mammoth Lakes, but can I expect snow there in November? I would love some skiing.

Thanks.

San Diego...
reviews: 31
1. Re: Will it snow in California this November 2013?

Closer to Irvine than Mammoth Lakes: are the Angeles National Forest (Mountain High, Mount Waterman, Mount Baldy), the San Bernardino National Forest (Lake Arrowhead, Big Bear Lake, Snow Valley, Snow Summit, Bear Mountain), Mount San Jacinto (at the top of the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway), Idyllwild, Cleveland National Forest (Palomar Mountain and Laguna Mountain Recreation Area) and Julian.

All of these are within a 3-hour drive of Irvine, or less, while Mammoth is a 5-to-6-hour drive from Irvine. If a major winter-type storm moves into southern California, any of these locations could have snow. However it is impossible to predict when any winter-type storms will arrive. Typically the first one does arrive in November, but it's really hart to predict whether there will be snow that you can see by the time of your trip.

One way to get to snow without doing any mountain driving at all is to drive over to Palm Springs and ride the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway (about $23). In the winter months there is often snow at the top, though not always.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 26
2. Re: Will it snow in California this November 2013?

We cannot predict weather. Some years, it snows in Big Bear in early November and some years it does not.

Mammoth is 5 hours away by car, Big Bear is 2 hours by car. Mammoth will, at the very least, have man-made snow, and the resort opens for the ski season on November 7th this year.

Edited: 5:04 pm, August 12, 2013
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
3. Re: Will it snow in California this November 2013?

I think, in November, you are going to ski in man-made snow *where there is some*. yogachick gives you good advice on Mammoth if that is what you can deal with.

Aliso Viejo...
4. Re: Will it snow in California this November 2013?

Hi Folks,

I have pretty much the same query, with the only difference that I'll be visiting places during the Thanksgiving weekend (Nov end).

So the question I have for you is how do I find out which places are having snow currently?

Thanks !!

Santa Clara...
reviews: 17
5. Re: Will it snow in California this November 2013?

Check their websites and webcam! Mammoth is usually the best early on, but if there is a major storm then Tahoe would be good too.

www.mammothmountain.com/MYMammoth/WebCams/

northstarcalifornia.com/info/ski/the-mountai…

Vancouver...
reviews: 24
6. Re: Will it snow in California this November 2013?

Remember, Sarang, the weather is happening now is totally irrelevant to the weather on Thanksgiving weekend. Chuck.

LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 1
7. Re: Will it snow in California this November 2013?

This site has long-range forecasts.

It's not looking good for precipitation between now and December

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 379
8. Re: Will it snow in California this November 2013?

Here are some So Cal sites.

bearmountain.com/snowboard/…

snow-valley.com/current_conditions/snow_repo…

www.mthigh.com/trails-conditions/snow-report

Ski SoCal

http://www.skisocal.org/

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 26
9. Re: Will it snow in California this November 2013?

I travel to Mammoth a couple times a month, and I totally rely and depend on the Dweeb Report:

http://mammothweather.com/

Aliso Viejo...
10. Re: Will it snow in California this November 2013?

Better late than never. I just wanted to thank you guys for all the information.

I am already looking forward to my thanks giving weekend trip at Mammoth.