We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Devil's Postpile: Drive vs. Shuttle, Rainbow vs. Minaret?

Which Mammoth Lakes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
reviews: 143
Devil's Postpile: Drive vs. Shuttle, Rainbow vs. Minaret?

Two questions. 1) Is it better to drive or take the shuttle to DPP? We'll be in the Mammoth area June 20-24, and I am planning our visit to DPP for Friday, June 21, which is the day before the shuttle opens. Are we better off taking the shuttle, or is it better to go on Friday rather than the weekend? Driving will cost less than the shuttle b/c we are a family of 5.

2) If we drive, where do we go for the Rainbow Falls trailhead? I've seen messages about lower vs. upper, and I think we'd like to do the shorter, upper falls. Is it worth also hiking to Minaret Falls? Is one better than the other? Are they very similar or different? We are coming from Yosemite, so we'll have seen our share of waterfalls. But one of my kids loves waterfalls, so if there is an opportunity to see two unique waterfalls we'd like to do that.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 24
1. Re: Devil's Postpile: Drive vs. Shuttle, Rainbow vs. Minaret?

You can only take a shuttle, no more cars allowed (without a camping and fishing permit). It's a treacherous, narrow, road, so let the shuttle driver do the driving. They leave Main Lodge every 20 minutes. I believe they are considering resuming the shuttle prior to the 22nd because of the popularity over Memorial Day.

Lower Falls is hike only. The area for Upper Falls is clearly marked by signs. The hike is too steep from DPP to Rainbow Falls for kids, so I recommend taking the shuttle to each spot.

CA
reviews: 2
2. Re: Devil's Postpile: Drive vs. Shuttle, Rainbow vs. Minaret?

I'm in Mammoth right now, June 4. I did this yesterday. The shuttle isn't running so you'll need to pay the $10 car fee. Well worth it. Drive your car to Devil's Post Pile and take the short hike to check it out. Be sure to see the view from the bridge just before getting to the post piles.. Then get back in your car and drive to Rainbow Falls shuttle stop, which is on the visitor's guide. It's a much shorter walk and has some amazing landscape changes and the waterfall is the icing on the cake. Take the trail and stairs down to lower falls. If you're up for another hike, get back in your car and head back to Post Pile parking lot and take the hike to Minaret Falls.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
3. Re: Devil's Postpile: Drive vs. Shuttle, Rainbow vs. Minaret?

If you can drive in, do it. If you have an America the Beautiful Pass, it will cover the entrance fee. We hiked from the Postpile to the Falls and back. It's not steep at all unless you climb down to the falls from the viewpoint. The lower falls are another mile downstream and maybe not worth the effort since they don't compare with the main falls. Here's a trail description of the hike:

greeneadventures.com/2011/…

4. Re: Devil's Postpile: Drive vs. Shuttle, Rainbow vs. Minaret?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 06, 2014