We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski-ing with kids over xmas/NY

Which Mammoth Lakes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
reviews: 2
Ski-ing with kids over xmas/NY

Hi, we are looking at ski-ing in Mammoth over xmas/NY 2013/2014 travelling with kids (2 and 4 yro) from Australia. Wondering if you would help with a couple of questions. We (as in parents!) are reasonable ski-iers having skied in Japan, Canada & NZ (as well as Oz):

1. is the snow reasonable\y good at that time of year?

2. Given we have kids, any recommendations for accommodation (we probably won't have a car as will fly into Mammoth) so want somewhere close to the ski-fields to save lugging kids and gear about.

3. do you know if there is childcare (for 2yro?) and your impressions on quality etc.

4. do they lessons for 4 yro?

Thanks for your time. look forward to hearing from you

9 replies to this topic
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 338
1. Re: Ski-ing with kids over xmas/NY

Curious how you chose Mammoth over Lake Tahoe?

If I wasn't going to have a car, I'd fly into Reno-Tahoe International Airport (RNO) and then take a shuttle to a resort like Northstar that is completely self contained, has a nice village area and good skiing.

Mammoth has a very limited air schedule and I think most airlines only have one flight a day in and out.

If I did go to Mammoth, The Village Lodge or Juniper Springs might be where I'd choose with young kids.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 20
2. Re: Ski-ing with kids over xmas/NY

Yes there is child care at each lodge, yes Mammoth has coverage that time of year - how much is hard to say - but the whole mountain will be open.

Flights are once daily, or it's a 5 hour drive from LA. Go to mammothmountain.com for more information on where to stay and the child care options. Also visitmammoth.com

grafton
reviews: 27
3. Re: Ski-ing with kids over xmas/NY

Hi

I have booked a vacation rental over Christmas week at Mammoth so am interested in your replies too. I believe it is higher than Lake Tahoe and wanted somewhere mountainous to spend Christmas and have a few days skiing prior to going to Silver Star. in BC in the new year. We are also from Australia but our kids are 18 and 20 now . Always like to go somewhere new. I looked at Tahoe aswell but found that the vacation rentals were more reasonably priced in Mammoth t possibly because it is further from the cities of San Fran or LA. I had a look on google street view and like the look of the town too. looks good, consider looking at a vacation rental ,more space to spread out and apparently there are 90 bars and restaurants if you don't' want to cook.!.

grafton
reviews: 27
4. Re: Ski-ing with kids over xmas/NY

Hi

I have booked a vacation rental over Christmas week at Mammoth so am interested in your replies too. I believe it is higher than Lake Tahoe and wanted somewhere mountainous to spend Christmas and have a few days skiing prior to going to Silver Star. in BC in the new year. We are also from Australia but our kids are 18 and 20 now . Always like to go somewhere new. I looked at Tahoe aswell but found that the vacation rentals were more reasonably priced in Mammoth t possibly because it is further from the cities of San Fran or LA. I had a look on google street view and like the look of the town too. looks good, consider looking at a vacation rental ,more space to spread out and apparently there are 90 bars and restaurants if you don't' want to cook.!.

reviews: 11
5. Re: Ski-ing with kids over xmas/NY

Mammoth has a higher elevation than Tahoe and also greater snowmaking capacity than most Tahoe areas. More flights have been added to the winter schedule so there are 2 flights a day from LAX in peak winter season as well as flights from San Francisco, San Diego, and Orange Co.

There are ski lessons for the 4 year old at all 3 lodges but child care for a 2 year old is only available at Main Lodge and the Village (added last year). I would recommend staying in the Village where you can take the gondola to Canyon Lodge. Mammoth has a good and extensive free shuttle bus system but it will be busy over any holiday. The Mammoth Mountain Inn is convenient to Main Lodge but distant from town and I would also recommend a place with a kitchenette for a family. You may find less expensive accommodations further from the mountain but make sure they are convenient to a shuttle and leave extra time--it will be very busy between Christmas and New Year's but there will also be lots of activities families will enjoy!

Los Angeles
reviews: 1
6. Re: Ski-ing with kids over xmas/NY

Stay at Mammoth Mountain Inn - that is where the kids care is and ski school. You just walk them downstairs and drop them off then you go off on your own! MMI is remote though - bring up food! You can get a full kitchen but you need to bring food up for it - there is a small store there but it's better to bring stuff up with you. It's a trek to go to the store from this area. And there is limited restaurants as well in this area, so you're tired at the end of the day with kids and you just want to relax it can be stressful if you're not prepared.

Edited: 2:56 pm, November 01, 2013
7. Re: Ski-ing with kids over xmas/NY

I'm thinking of going to Tahoe Christmas Eve for just 3 days from the UK!

Any good - but not expensive - lodges anyone can recommend?

Must have atmosphere as it is Christmas!

Steve

8. Re: Ski-ing with kids over xmas/NY

Sorry, should have put with no kids!

Just two of us!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 20
9. Re: Ski-ing with kids over xmas/NY

Stephen, post on the Tahoe forum for Tahoe questions, this is the Mammoth forum, a few hours drive from Tahoe.

Reply to: Ski-ing with kids over xmas/NY
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mammoth Lakes