We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas to Mammoth March 2013 - Skiing

Which Mammoth Lakes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide
reviews: 138
Las Vegas to Mammoth March 2013 - Skiing

Hi, I have just learned I will be at a company conference in Las Vegas the week of 18-22 March next year. I'm interested in advice please on the best way to get from Las Vegas to Mammoth with a view to skiing either prior to or after my conference. Where should I base myself? I will be travelling as a single so suggestions that include single options would be good. Looking at 3 star, lodge or similar but not backpacker. Thanks very much.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
1. Re: Las Vegas to Mammoth March 2013 - Skiing

Best way to get there is via Pahrump, Death Valley NP, Lone Pine and up us395 to Bishop and Mammoth Lakes. You can do that in one day and scenery is great. Can't help on lodging in winter but hope ML experts can help you.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 24
2. Re: Las Vegas to Mammoth March 2013 - Skiing

That can be a very treacherous drive in March if it is snowing (it likely will be snowing). Consider flying to LAX and then flying to Mammoth.

For lodging, there are only a couple hotels, the lodging in Mammoth is all condos. Go to visitmammoth.com and click on lodging to see your options. The condos are graded from A to B- , not in stars. Where is the conference?

Adelaide
reviews: 138
3. Re: Las Vegas to Mammoth March 2013 - Skiing

Thanks Yogachik & Tet14 for your replies. I'm not planning to drive, more a matter of getting internal flights that line up with my conference in Las Vegas. I know the dates for the 2013 conference but not venue or timings of my business flights ex Australia. These can be flexible to accomodate my other plans, but my sense is it might be best for me to tack my ski trip at the back end of my work activity i.e ski the week of 25 March. I have learned I can fly into Mammoth via LAX, or can go direct from Las Vegas to Reno with South West if I opt for Lake Tahoe instead. Of course the week of 25 March runs into Easter - how busy/booked would the resorts be, and would snow quality/quantity be an issue at this time? I'm assuming not but best to ask! Thanks!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 24
4. Re: Las Vegas to Mammoth March 2013 - Skiing

The resorts will be very booked, and the snow will be fantastic. Reno to Tahoe is much easier so I would suggest going to Tahoe.

San Diego
reviews: 10
5. Re: Las Vegas to Mammoth March 2013 - Skiing

Or try Brian Head in Utah. 2 hour drive from Vegas. Much smaller mountain though.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 379
6. Re: Las Vegas to Mammoth March 2013 - Skiing

I believe there are plenty of places to stay in Mammoth. Check Web sites such as Expedia, etc., etc., etc. There are a few routes to Mammoth. http://goo.gl/maps/jOx6x is one example. Going through DV would be the most scenic, though not the quickest. You can keep track of weather reports (e.g., http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi ) and then decide. Hwy. 395 can get closed, or have chain requirements (a problem for a rental car, since you may be precluded from using chains), but I don't think it usually lasts for prolonged period in late March. A lot of people do drive from L.A. I think that week would be more crowded than most weeks, due to Easter, though many schools have breaks at other period, not exactly that week.

If you fly to Reno or even Sacramento, you'd still have to get to the slopes, but perhaps more options with shuttles, etc. than for Mammoth airport. Info on the latter airport (including lodging at Mammoth): visitmammoth.com/about-mammoth/… Alaska Airlines flies from LAX to Mammoth. Maybe others, too.

Edited: 3:27 pm, December 26, 2012
Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 379
7. Re: Las Vegas to Mammoth March 2013 - Skiing

p.s. Tahoe-- either Stateline or North Lake Tahoe area-- would have the advantage of there being more options for lodging, at the slopes and in towns (even stay in Reno your first and/or last night, depending on flight times). Do check on shuttle options (e.g., call a hotel) in case there are chain requirements and you can use them on your rental car.

Edited: 3:32 pm, December 26, 2012
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
8. Re: Las Vegas to Mammoth March 2013 - Skiing

If you are in Las Vegas, Salt Lake City is closer than Reno and just a little further than Mammoth but easier to fly to.

In March, Utah will more likely have better powder.

http://www.inscc.utah.edu/~steenburgh/gsnow.pdf

9. Re: Las Vegas to Mammoth March 2013 - Skiing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 28, 2013