We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from San Francisco too Mammouth mountain?

Which Mammoth Lakes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
perth
Travelling from San Francisco too Mammouth mountain?

Hi me and a couple of mates are travelling around USA in this December/January soo mid jan we need to get from san fran too mammouth any ideas?? I have had a look at flights and it only looks like you can fly Los Angles?Any advice would really be appreaciated.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 24
1. Re: Travelling from San Francisco too Mammouth mountain?

You can fly from SFO to MMH on Alaska. Go to the Mammoth website and use their trip planner.

http://www.mammothmountain.com/

Edited: 12:32 pm, June 29, 2012
Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 378
2. Re: Travelling from San Francisco too Mammouth mountain?

Flying from SFO requires one flight to LAX and another to MMH. Probably two airlines. But you can book both flights at one time on the Alaska Airlines or American Airlines Web site. Friends in L.A. often drive to Mammoth, and you could conceivably drive there from SF (via Lake Tahoe, for instance), but the roads are subject to closure or at least chain requirements.

Edited: 1:03 pm, June 29, 2012
Bay Area, CA
reviews: 2
3. Re: Travelling from San Francisco too Mammouth mountain?

United had direct flights to Mammoth last winter, I think. I don't know if Horizon and/or United will announce anything until the fall. Last winter wasn't a good one, and I don't know if those flights sold very well. But I think there were direct flight from SFO and SJC; they were trying to pull in Bay Area skiers.

The driving options in the winter are basically variants of taking 80 to Lake Tahoe and going down 395, the usual route is something like 80-50-89-88-395, but it's conditional on road closures due to storms. For example, you can go directly to Kirkwood via 88 and ski a day there, then head over to 395, but the Carson Spur is almost guaranteed to close for avalanche control if there's a big storm. Insert-usual-cautions-about-winter-driving-here.

Assuming that you'll be skiing, you can check in with the folks in the forums at EpicSki or Teton Gravity for more specific suggestions.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 24
4. Re: Travelling from San Francisco too Mammouth mountain?

In the winter, there's a direct flight.

perth
5. Re: Travelling from San Francisco too Mammouth mountain?

Thanks for the quick response... does any body know how much the flight would cost roughly and when they usually put the shedules up?

Sydney
reviews: 14
6. Re: Travelling from San Francisco too Mammouth mountain?

We are also travelling to Mammoth Mountain from SF on 20 Jan 13. Was planning to drive and stay somewhere overnight. What's the best route to do this? I wasn't planning to go to Tahoe then head south.....Can you head south to Fresno and then back up to Mammoth? We will have 2 kids with us.

THanks.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
7. Re: Travelling from San Francisco too Mammouth mountain?

Going to Tahoe is the way you want to go. US 50 and then down to Gardnerville and US 395 to Mammoth Lakes. You could also take CA 88 but that would take longer.

There are no other passes open in the winter unless you drive all the way to Bakersfield and go around the Sierra. This would be a very long drive. Twice as long as going via Lake Tahoe.

If you run into a winter storm, you will need chains but most rental car companies don't allow them. You may find yourselves stuck for a day or two if it snows.

Why are you going to Mammoth?

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
8. Re: Travelling from San Francisco too Mammouth mountain?

Of course, you are probably renting a 4 wheel drive vehicle with the right tires. Am I correct?

California
reviews: 12
9. Re: Travelling from San Francisco too Mammouth mountain?

You cannot get to Mammoth from SF unless you go east to Tahoe or to Reno and then head south. I will tell you that you have a pretty scary drive ahead of you in January if it's stormy at all. If you head to Fresno you still have to head further south to Bakersfield and then east to 395 and then north.

You are going on THE busiest weekend of the year. MLK is crazy busy in Mammoth. I've been. It's a huge mountain but nonetheless it will be crowded. MLK is the 21st so if you start skiing that day forward you will be ok but before that crazy crowded. That is if you can tolerate the drive. If it's snowing it's a slog going south on 395 from Reno since it will snow nearly the entire way. Coming from the south the part that snows is much shorter.

There are flights you could look into that can get you to Mammoth faster and safely. We have 4WD and I said to my husband this is the scariest drive I've ever been on and I never want to do it again.

Sydney
reviews: 14
10. Re: Travelling from San Francisco too Mammouth mountain?

Hi, I'm not sure what MLK is? Can you please advise? We have already booked for a week from 20 Jan, so I suppose we're stuck now? thanks.