We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Devil's Post Pile

Which Mammoth Lakes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MISSOURI
reviews: 59
Devil's Post Pile

I was hoping to visit here on our road trip. We will be there in erly June like around the 4th or 5th.....will it be open by then, since the snow level is low this year?

I also read that you have to take a bus to see it, cost is 7 bucks per person, where do you catch this bus and where do you pay the 7 bucks?

Once at Devil's can you then walk to Rainbow Falls or do you have to board the bus once more to get there?

I just stumbled across this and I am crossing my fingers it will be open, it sounds amazing to see!!!

Any hints or tips greatly appreciated!!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
1. Re: Devil's Post Pile

Devil's Postpile usually doesn't open until later in June (some years July). However, this year could be an exception. It's too early to tell.

The buses leave from the Mammoth Mountain Adventure Center which is not scheduled to open until June 23. If it opens early, here is the shuttle bus info website:

nps.gov/depo/…feesandreservations.htm

If the Postpile opens early before the Adventure Center, you will probably be able to drive in. You would pay the fee then at Minaret Summit, just before heading down into the canyon.

Once at the Postpile, you can hike down to the falls. If the shuttle is running, you would probably hike back to a closer shuttle stop. Here's the map of the area:

…usda.gov/Internet/…stelprdb5311243.pdf

Trabuco Canyon...
reviews: 46
2. Re: Devil's Post Pile

Supercilious, thanks for the Info was lurking and this is exactly what I needed to answer my Questions, Thanks again

MISSOURI
3. Re: Devil's Post Pile

Thanks for the fast reply!!

So even if the Center is not open, we would still be able to go see this, we would just have to drive ourselves in and walk(no bus) to where ever we wanted to see...is this correct?

If we do drive ourselves in, are the roads easy to drive or do you need a 4-wheel drive? We will only have a rental car!!

I know the snow fall this year has be low, my plan was to take Tioga Road to Mammoth and see DPP, then RF and then to Bodie SP....I REALLY hope we get to see all of them!!!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
4. Re: Devil's Post Pile

I've taken a rental car into there. Just take it easy. The road is narrow so you have to watch out for vehicles coming the other way. It's paved down to the Valley floor but I can't remember if it's paved all the way to the Postpile or not. It doesn't matter since it's a very good road and well traveled.

If the buses are not running, you would just park your car at the trailhead you wanted or in the parking lots at the Postpile or Reds Meadows, etc.

I hope it's open when you visit. It's an awesome part of the Sierra.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
5. Re: Devil's Post Pile

Just looked at google maps. You can see the striping on the road. So it's paved all the way to the Postpile.

MISSOURI
6. Re: Devil's Post Pile

Awesome!!!

Our list for things to see on our first trip to California keeps getting longer and longer!!! So much to see and little time to do it!!

Thanks for all the help!!!

California
reviews: 12
7. Re: Devil's Post Pile

We always go before 7 am so we can drive ourselves. If you look on this page & scroll down a bit you can see what the exceptions are - getting to the entrance station before 7 am is one of the exceptions

nps.gov/depo/…feesandreservations.htm

We hike to Rainbow Falls from the Reds Madow trailhead rather than from Devil's Postpile. It's a really easy wide trail. We didn't find going to lower falls to be anywhere near as scenic as Rainbow Falls.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 742
8. Re: Devil's Post Pile

Its an OK drive to Devils Postpile. The bus is put in place in the summer as parking is limited there - and they try to be eco-friendly. We usually go after Labor Day to Devils Postpile so have never taken the bus The drive is relatively easy and scenic - there is of course altitude gain.

As a kid - it was dusty (and probably what Supercilious is remembering). It was quite a challenge then, Today it is paved and although mountain curves, etc. it is a relatively easy drive now.

MISSOURI
9. Re: Devil's Post Pile

We are early birds, plus I am thinking that we will be on Missouri time, so getting there by 7am wouldn't be a problem!!!

I want to see all I can cram into this vacation!!! I know some will say you should take your time and explore all there is, but we only have a limited number of days and so we move pretty fast, but thats our style. We dont have kids to drag along, its just us!!! And I can get a lot of pictures taken in a small amount of time!!! LOL

California
reviews: 12
10. Re: Devil's Post Pile

We had young kids doing Rainbow Falls year after year. When they got to 11 & 15 or 12 & 16 we finally hiked to lower falls. Not really worth it. after visiting Rainbow Falls but we loved Minaret Falls. Water was freezing but the kids would compete to see who could keep their feet in the water the longest!

world-of-waterfalls.com/california-minaret-f…