We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking

Which Mammoth Lakes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 11
Hiking

Hi

I am planning a trip for late September 2012 and will be travelling in the Eastern Sierra Nevada between Yosemite and Death Valley.

I plan to have a 2 night stop over in the area but not sure which would be the best place to stay for doing some hiking.........looks like I will have one full day for hiking where should I stay that won't involve too much travelling and a good amount of time for hiking?

I would appreciate any advice :)

Edited: 11:25 am, September 10, 2011
Reno, Nevada
reviews: 21
1. Re: Hiking

As you depart Tioga Pass, Mammoth Lakes is only about 30 minutes south on Hwy 395. There is SO MUCH incredibly scenic hiking in Mammoth Lakes! From short hike favorites like Crystal Lake, Sky Meadows, Rainbow Falls, Devils Postpile, to longer hikes along the Mammoth Crest. Possibilities are endless.

Another favorite hike of ours is about another maybe 40 minutes south of Mammoth is Rock Creek- Little Lakes Valley. Exit onto Toms Place and follow the road about 12 miles all the way to the end of the road. You begin at Mosquito Flats Trailhead 10,300ft elev and will have THE most beautiful hike passing lake after lake after lake. Don't worry if you find yourself singing "The hills are alive, with the Sound of Music, ah ah ah ahhh...."

Enjoy...!

London, United...
2. Re: Hiking

Thanks funtroopers4

With only 16 nights to play with I am really finding it difficult to know where to go and how long to stay at each stop.

We plan to drive from Yosemite Valley through Tioga Pass and would like to do some hiking from the Meadows before stopping for the night so June/Mammoth seems favourite. Think we may stay 1 night there before travelling south to Lone Pine area for another 1 or 2 nights. Your suggestions for hikes are much appreciated :)

Anaheim Hills
reviews: 18
3. Re: Hiking

Mammoth Lakes is where you want to go if hiking is important to you. funtroopers4 gave you some good choices and there is many more in that area. And the area is beautiful, especially in the fall. I would take at least two days or more for Mammoth Lakes.

London, United...
4. Re: Hiking

Thanks wshawkins

It is always going to be a compromise but I am still tweaking the itinerary the 6 nights for eastern sierra, death valley and SEKI is proving to be the most challenging ;)

5. Re: Hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, October 20, 2012