We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip help needed

Which Mammoth Lakes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
san jose, ca
Trip help needed

We are planning to make a trip on memorial day week with 2 kids 3 years old. This is the first time we will be going to mammoth lakes.

I am planning to go to Bodie ghost town, Mono Lake, Devil's Postpile.

I have a few questions

1.) Any good accommodation suggestion pref with kitchen.

2.) Is Devil's Postpile open at this time

3.) I have heard some good hot springs, I would very much like to visit a goo done nearby, please let me know which ones I should look for

4.) any other places that are interesting to visit for?

Thanks in advance for helping out.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 24
1. Re: Trip help needed

all of your questions can be answered here:

www.visitmammoth.com

You'll get directions to hot springs, you'll see a list of all accomodations (Where to Stay), which are mostly condos, so will have kitchens (be prepared to spend time looking at different properties, they all have pictures), and all the info you need to sightsee Devil's Postpile and Bodie as well as everything else nearby.

san jose, ca
2. Re: Trip help needed

Thanks. It looks like 120 is closed currently.

Santa Clarita...
reviews: 4
3. Re: Trip help needed

With small children, our preference was near the town and creek. The kids loved the creek, and the park has a very nice playground; there's and a nice level trail across the road (actually you walk under the road) to look for pinecones! There was always something to do, or place to walk in that area when we were not sightseeing. www.mammothcreek.com condos are nice and well located in that area. Close to stores, etc.

The hot springs have a lot of stairs, with railings, down to the creek. Also, if the fish hatchery is open, that's another stop on the same road that kids enjoy.

If they are into fishing (?), there are stores that have kid's poles, and will set them up.

There are lots of easy hikes, and you may find a little snow in some areas, and your children would have some fun. Also, ask at the Visitor's Center as you enter town - they have all the information.

Santa Clarita...
reviews: 4
4. Re: Trip help needed

Tioga Pass usually opens, or tries to open for the Memorial Day weekend. May 22 is the beginning of the holiday, so keep looking for confirmation.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 24
5. Re: Trip help needed

There's many more hot creeks than the one described above (and that one may be closed because it's gotten too hot recently). The visitmammoth.com site has directions to all the little hot creeks scattered around.

Also, Tioga traditionally opens mid-late June. There's a lot of snow they have to plow. Watch the caltrans.com site for updated information. There's also a thread in the Yosemite forum, here at TA, called Tioga -- do a search for it.

California
reviews: 12
6. Re: Trip help needed

We always like see the lakes. Our kids love to watch the huge fish at the dam above twin lakes. We imagine one day we'll catch one of them!

Checkout Horseshoe Lake. It's all dead from the carbon dioxide coming up. It's the only lake you are allowed to swim in. They suggest you limit your time there.

The road to Devils Postpile won't open before you arrive but you might take a scenic ride on the gondola.

We always like to look down into the great earthquake fault. It's right off Hwy. 203 on the way to teh top of Mammoth Mountain.

Go to the Fish Hatchery off Airport road.

We went to Obsidion Dome and the kids pick up giant rcoks & held them over their heads. We took pics like they were super strong.

A visit to Hot Creek is interesting. It's closed to swimming.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2007/3045/

Windsor, California
reviews: 1
7. Re: Trip help needed

120 is free of snow and is scheduled to open on May 22.

8. Re: Trip help needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:22 am, November 11, 2009