We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night stopover between San Fran and Las Vegas

Which Death Valley Junction hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
auckland
reviews: 1
One night stopover between San Fran and Las Vegas

We have two full days (one night) available to drive from San Fran to Las Vegas. what would be the sight or sights we could expect to see in these two days and what route to take to see them? Please advise what is possible. Thank you.

Danville, California
reviews: 133
11. Re: One night stopover between San Fran and Las Vegas

Last minute bookings in these areas will be difficult. But you are planning a bit of a marathon drive so just a place to rest, recharge and go again is all you need.

Lower your expectations for a nice accommodation in Lee Vining. For the most part they are "roadside" older inns/hotels.

I would focus on June Lake. It is very pretty and the loop drive should be part of your route. The June Lake Pines Cottages looks like a very reasonable property (never stayed there) so you might inquire with them. Double Eagle is very nice but your limited stay would not justify the expense in my book.

After a long day, it would be best to go no further than June Lake area. Eat at the Mono Inn in Lee Vining, or simple "gas station" gourmet at the Tioga Gas Mart or the restaurant at the Double Eagle resort.

Budget time in the early morning to drive out to the south shore of Mono Lake to see the Tufa formations.

auckland
12. Re: One night stopover between San Fran and Las Vegas

I am so pleased with all the help I got. We are booked in at June Lake. Thank you all - we are going to do this trip with confidence now.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
13. Re: One night stopover between San Fran and Las Vegas

Don't know whether the June Lake hotel has a restaurant, but for something special you could try Whoa Nellie Deli at the Mobil Gasstation in Lee Vining on your left hand side on 120 (Tioga Pass road).

Tet

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
reviews: 42
14. Re: One night stopover between San Fran and Las Vegas

I'm late to this thread, so I won't go over all the other advice you've received since you've gotten settled at June Lake.

However, the Mono Inn is currently closed for regular dining. It has been for over a year, although it may be rentable for special events. I tried calling their phone # twice in the afternoon and it was busy both times. So I don't know what's up with them.

Lee Vining has a few other places to eat, including the renowned Whoa Nellie, Niceley's (typical American diner), a couple of bakery cafe type places in town. and the restaurant at Tioga Lodge north of town.

http://www.tiogalodgeatmonolake.com/

auckland
15. Re: One night stopover between San Fran and Las Vegas

Thank you for the help.

auckland
16. Re: One night stopover between San Fran and Las Vegas

It's me again. I have just finished reading comments about the August heat in Death Valley and am put off by it. Coming from June Lake to Las Vegas is there another sight worth a look at?

17. Re: One night stopover between San Fran and Las Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 07, 2010