We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one time visit from crescent city Ca through Oregon.

Jacksonville...
reviews: 13
one time visit from crescent city Ca through Oregon.

East coast family visiting Northern California coast, redwoods, whales, seals, bears, we hope. Arriving Sacramento in early June, staying in Williams, CA one night, headed for coastline 101 and staying in Crescent City one night driving through Grants Pass, Oregon and down to meet friends at Incline Village, NV. We have 9 days what do we not want to miss with 2 teenagers?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 42
1. Re: one time visit from crescent city Ca through Oregon.

When? Crater Lake may not be fully open in June.

Have you eliminated the Oreg coast? saying Grants Pass sort of indicates that. Piece from Brookings to Port Orford is very good.

I would go through Lassen NP on way to Tahoe

Jacksonville...
2. Re: one time visit from crescent city Ca through Oregon.

Phirl, thanks for response so quickly. We will be leaving Crescent City

June 8. Would driving to Crater Lake be okay even with snow? Where should we stop overnite before we head to Lake Tahoe? Trying to think of something a 13 and 16 yr. old would enjoy as well as us, young grandparents.

Renton, WA
3. Re: one time visit from crescent city Ca through Oregon.

If the roads are blocked by snow, what is the point of driving up the mountain? The lake can be seen only from the rim road.

Edited: 8:41 pm, March 03, 2013
Portland, Oregon
4. Re: one time visit from crescent city Ca through Oregon.

The rim road around Crater Lake wont be open then, but the viewpoint from the main lodge will be. I would think a better way to spend time would to be to drive up the oregon coast and take a jet boat trip on the Rogue River at Gold Beach- your grandkids are at the best age to do it. Lots of wildlife on the trip...

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
5. Re: one time visit from crescent city Ca through Oregon.

I agree with chinookgrrl, those ids would enjoy that boat ride more than a look at Crater Lake, plus you get to see Boardman SP which is maybe our best section of coastline. You could go just as far as Gold Beach and then head back down coast and inland to Grants Pass. And it is fewer miles than going to Crater Lake

Edited: 2:01 pm, March 04, 2013
Jacksonville...
6. Re: one time visit from crescent city Ca through Oregon.

good idea we will do it. Thanks everyone for all your help...........Tripadvisors the best...

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 795
7. Re: one time visit from crescent city Ca through Oregon.

The jet boat rides out of Gold Beach take most of a day. I'm not sure you have the time to drive up there and take the ride. Another option would be to take the jet boat ride out of Klamath, Calif as it's only two hours.

BUT --

If you are going from Williams to Crescent City in just one day, you honestly won't have time for anything other than driving! It's a solid 6 hours without stops. We've driven it several times recently.

There are so many things to do and see through the redwoods . . . but it seems as it you aren't allowing time?

You'll see elk along 101 north of Trinidad.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
8. Re: one time visit from crescent city Ca through Oregon.

OP said Williams, Crescent City, Grants Pass and 9 days to get to Incline Village. I figured they may be spending nights along way in other places. like maybe Eureka, Gold beach. If not I agree Williams to Crescent City not good, you miss the redwoods if you just drive through.

Jacksonville...
9. Re: one time visit from crescent city Ca through Oregon.

We will slow the trip down and enjoy the Redwoods. My grandson wants to go to Florence, Oregon to sandboard and stay in a Treehouse someone has raved about. Has anyone tried that yet?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 795
10. Re: one time visit from crescent city Ca through Oregon.

Don't think there is treehouse lodging around Florence. I've never heard of any and I've lived just an hour or so north of there for many years.

There is a place near Cave Junction - is that what you're referring to?