We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hike to boat ride in Crater Lake

New York City, New...
Hike to boat ride in Crater Lake

Can anyone describe the hike to and from the boat - how strenuous is it - can a 70 year old man do it?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
reviews: 110
1. Re: Hike to boat ride in Crater Lake

You'll get several answers. In fact, this issue has been discussed many times and someone might be able to give you a link to such a discussion.

However, age has nothing to do with ability to hike; physical condition does.

I'm into my 70s and able to hike considerable distances and altitude gains...and am often not the oldest one on our hikes. I know people in their 40s and 50s who have a hard time getting back from their refrigerators.

So, my question is: what is your condition. Healthy? Exercise regularly? Do a lot of walking? Getting back from the boat takes some effort (and maybe a rest stop or two), but shouldn't be a question of whether a 70-year-old can do it.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 36
2. Re: Hike to boat ride in Crater Lake

Just did an exchange on this about hiking to cleetwood cove. talked about seniors.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 40
3. Re: Hike to boat ride in Crater Lake

I'm with OP on this, both in age and regarding his opinion. Not to editorialize (too much) but seeing biped obesity in the US is, too often in the young (to me, that's a big range), appalling.

I'll add that, young or old, hiking is about attitude as well as fitness. As the old adage goes, "Don't look down, look around".

Edited: 11:30 pm, July 27, 2011
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 738
4. Re: Hike to boat ride in Crater Lake

Some posters insist that it's fairly easy. Some say it's strenuous.

The facts are that it is at HIGH altitude and you gain an elevation of about 700 feet in just over one mile.

Also, they are working on the trail right now and the website states that there are *steep* stairs to the boat dock. Click on this blue link for full information:

nps.gov/crla/planyourvisit/guidedtours.htm

That said, as stated above, your physical ability and fitness is the most important factor in determining if the trail will be difficult for you. Folks can talk all day long about how it was "for them", but they are not "you" :-)

Intervale, NH
reviews: 197
5. Re: Hike to boat ride in Crater Lake

There are plenty of warnings, "1.1 miles down, 11 miles up," "like climbing 65 flights of stairs." I think that is to keep those out of shape from attempting it and having to get rescued. That said our boat captain wore a knee brace and we did see evidence of tire tracks on the trail so I think he does not hike up each day. The altitude is the killer. I live at 600' altitude and hike to 2-3,000 footers but here you are starting at about 6,500' and going up 700'. That said I was able to do it w/o too much panting ;-) I just kept telling myself to do at least 65 steps before I took a break and found I did between 70 -100 before stopping. The sun was still pretty strong and wild fires in the park made it smoky which bothered me as I am allergic to quite a few environmental things, animal dander, pollen, etc. I did it in less than 45 minutes so I was proud of myself. One of the crew working at the dock said he runs the trail in 11 minutes. I suppose if I did it every day by September I wouldn't have minded it as much.

USA
6. Re: Hike to boat ride in Crater Lake

I am planning on visiting the park next Wed...does the smoke interfer significantly with the visit? Is it still worth visiting? We are driving out of our way -4 hours-each way; just don't want to get there and have everyone say it's terrible conditions. What do you advise?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 738
7. Re: Hike to boat ride in Crater Lake

I might suggest calling the ranger station or maybe the lodge and asking somebody who is *right there* on a daily basis.

You should be able to find phone numbers on the web site:

http://www.nps.gov/crla/index.htm

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
reviews: 110
8. Re: Hike to boat ride in Crater Lake

See my answer to your other posting.

9. Re: Hike to boat ride in Crater Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, October 08, 2012