We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive/timely transportation from LAX to Ventura?

Which Ventura hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 7
Inexpensive/timely transportation from LAX to Ventura?

Does anyone know of a decent way to get from LAX to Ventura and back without renting a car? There are some great rates out there to fly into LAX, but they are completely counteracted by the prohibitive cost of all transportation I have discovered.

Roadrunner shuttle - $70

24-7 ride - $100

Ventura Airporter - $65 (prepaid)

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

13 replies to this topic
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 58
1. Re: Inexpensive/timely transportation from LAX to Ventura?

Possible alternative is FlyAway bus from LAX to Union Station (see ground transportation section at www.lawa.org) - $7 per person, and then Amtrak Pacific Surfliner train ($23 per person www.amtrak.com) to the Ventura train station, or the Metrolink Ventura County Line train ($12.75 per person www.metrolinktrains.com) to the East Ventura train station. Then a taxi(?) to your final destination within Ventura. This won't be a quick trip. but if you're only one person, possibly less $ than the prices you quoted.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 14
2. Re: Inexpensive/timely transportation from LAX to Ventura?

Maybe fly into another airport? Sounds like you got a good fare to LAX but maybe look into Burbank or Santa Barbara .

Dr. Z

Berkeley, Ca.
reviews: 72
3. Re: Inexpensive/timely transportation from LAX to Ventura?

I'd second Drill 'n Fill's suggestion, if you can do it. There are flights from both San Francisco and Oakland airport to Burbank at reasonable fares. At Burbank, you can get on the train literally right outside the airport and go to Ventura.

California
reviews: 64
4. Re: Inexpensive/timely transportation from LAX to Ventura?

I have at times done a one way car rental and found that to be cheaper!

Toronto
reviews: 1
5. Re: Inexpensive/timely transportation from LAX to Ventura?

So, lostmywalletagain, there is a car rental agency in Ventura?

I'd prefer not to drive out of LAX and will probably take a shuttle to Ventura (there for a week long course) but thinking I might not want to be without a car while I'm there.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 14
6. Re: Inexpensive/timely transportation from LAX to Ventura?

Of course there are rental agencies in Ventura. Where is your conference?

Dr. Z

Toronto
reviews: 1
7. Re: Inexpensive/timely transportation from LAX to Ventura?

I posted that before I googled and found a bunch, thanks. My conference is on Telegraph Road, near the college. Having a car would also open up the possibilities of where to stay, as we won't be reliant on public transit.

8. Re: Inexpensive/timely transportation from LAX to Ventura?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 pm, July 20, 2014

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 178
9. Re: Inexpensive/timely transportation from LAX to Ventura?

The drive from LAX to Ventura can be a very nice one along the Pacific Coast Highway. I would rent a car at the airport and use PCH as your route. It does take 1.5 hours outside of rush hour, but what a pretty drive!

10. Re: Inexpensive/timely transportation from LAX to Ventura?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:33 am, July 22, 2014

Reply to: Inexpensive/timely transportation from LAX to Ventura?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted