We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus El Paso to Chihuahua

Which El Paso hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stockton...
Bus El Paso to Chihuahua

Hi, I will be flying into El Paso Airport in about 2 weeks and then plan to travel by bus to Chihuahua. What is the best way to do this? Is the bus station close to the airport? What bus lines are the best? I will be traveling alone, but will be met by my friend in Chihuahua, as a women traveling alone, should I worry much? I am fluent in Spanish, so that is not a problem for me.

Wylie.Texas
reviews: 11
1. Re: Bus El Paso to Chihuahua

Sorry i can not help you on the bus lines but i would really think about the bus ride on the mexican side on the border. Is that what you really need to do ?

Texas
reviews: 140
2. Re: Bus El Paso to Chihuahua

The Greyhound Bus station is located downtown which is several miles from the airport. So you'll need to take a taxi, shuttle or public transport from the airport to Greyhound. I understand that it is necessary to change to a Mexican bus service in Ciudad Juarez to continue to Chihuahua. I suggest you research and post in the Mexico and Chihuahua TA forums before undertaking this trip.

Stockton...
3. Re: Bus El Paso to Chihuahua

Thank you DavdLW and Texhills, no I'm not certain this is the best option, which why I am looking into it. I've never traveled by bus in Mexico before, so I wanted to see what others might have experienced.

I will check out the Mexico and Chihuahua TA forums also, thank you both.

I may need to find another option.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
reviews: 53
4. Re: Bus El Paso to Chihuahua

My option would be to avoid Mexico entirely. Maybe your friend could meet you in El Paso.

Las Cruces
5. Re: Bus El Paso to Chihuahua

In the past you would have gotten a cab at the border to take you to the Juarez bus station. I wouldn't recommend it currently given the level of violence in Juarez.

Your best choice to travel to the interior of Mexico currently is to fly. The city of Chihuahua isn't the safest place either these days, but if you know someone there obviously they would have more knowledge of the situation there. I wouldn't recommend going through Juarez, especially without someone local who is knowlegeable of the details of the situation, and certainly not as a single woman who has never been to Juarez.

Las Cruces
6. Re: Bus El Paso to Chihuahua

To put it into perspective, my brother, who lives in Mexico, has travelled countless miles on buses throughout Mexico and frequently travels to El Paso has avoided going through Juarez completely for the past couple years. He has either flown to the US or driven an alternate route.

New York City, New...
reviews: 115
7. Re: Bus El Paso to Chihuahua

Colleen: Border towns anywhere in Central America, but especially here, are not safe. As others have said, you friend should meet you at the airport or as nmrocks said, FLY to wherever you plan to go with your friend. Mexico is a beautiful, welcoming country and quite safe in most small towns and in towns where there are Mayan ruins, for instance, but not at the border--even if you speak Spanish.

El Paso
reviews: 28
8. Re: Bus El Paso to Chihuahua

Hi,

Colleen,

I used to travel to Chihahua by bus all the time a few years ago to visit my x-girlfriend. Google the trailways bus station downtown and either buy a ticket online or when you arive using the Americans Bus Lines. The actualy bus station is down Santa Fe street several blocks but the Americanos bus will come up to greyhound and pick you up if you buy a ticket. Its a couple of bucks more but very convenient. The bus ride to chihuahua is long with a stop in Villa Ahumada in the middle of the 6hr trip. The bus will take you to the Central Camionera where you friend can pick you up.

El Paso, Texas
9. Re: Bus El Paso to Chihuahua

Once you come to El Paso take taxi or shuttle to Americanos USA on 1007 S Santa Fe St, El Paso, TX 79901. They take you directly to Chihuahua from El Paso. You wont need to transfer buses in Mexico. Here is their number if you need info. (915) 532-1748 also 915-532-9156. Its only $33 dlls for trip and will take about 4 to 6 hrs. Hope this helps.

Edited: 11:42 am, April 18, 2013
10. Re: Bus El Paso to Chihuahua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 20, 2014