We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do near Thurmont? Scenic overlooks/drives?

Which Thurmont hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
reviews: 69
What to do near Thurmont? Scenic overlooks/drives?

I will be staying in a cabin in Thurmont this weekend. What do you recommend within an hour's drive? It is supposed to be chilly so none of the outdoor activities we would normally do sound appealing.

For this weather, we enjoy scenic drives and we may be looking for a romantic post-Valentine's dinner.

Are there any scenic overlooks within an hour from there?

We are familiar with the Baltimore area and are hoping to head the other way if we decide to leave the cabin for an afternoon.

Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 40
1. Re: What to do near Thurmont? Scenic overlooks/drives?

Frederick is a great city to explore. lots of good restaurants, places to get a drink. Also, Harper's Ferry is not that much further south or Gettysburg to the north. For fancy in Frederick try Volt.

My fave is Tasting Room. little bit of soho in Frederick. Also, very good italian, spanish, pub style. etc. Not sure about Volt, but don't need to be dressy for anyplace else. See if there is anything playing at the Weinberg Center.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 12
2. Re: What to do near Thurmont? Scenic overlooks/drives?

It's still a few days off, but the weekend looks to be sunny and in the mid-40's. Not too bad for a hike, which will give you good overlooks in Catoctin National Park and Gambrills State Park, which are not too far away.

Gettysburg, PA is not too far away and Emmitsburg, MD is a quaint little town too.

Frederick is definitely worth a visit. I work here and live nearby...let me know if you have any specific interests and I can guide you to the right place.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 13
3. Re: What to do near Thurmont? Scenic overlooks/drives?

There are three covered bridges in the vicinity. Cunningham Falls is also very scenic any time of year. High Rock overlook is about 20 minutes away at the MD/PA border for an incredible view.

Washington DC...
4. Re: What to do near Thurmont? Scenic overlooks/drives?

Cozy's is a great buffet with some historical significance. Check out their website - http://www.cozyvillage.com/

Reply to: What to do near Thurmont? Scenic overlooks/drives?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Thurmont
More Thurmont Topics