We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to get from JFK to Hells Kitchen Area

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
278 posts
10 reviews
best way to get from JFK to Hells Kitchen Area

What is best way to get from JFK to Hells Kitchen Area on Friday December 22nd at approx 4pm? Bus/train/taxi? How do you get from Long Island Railroad to JFK on December 26th in the evening? How bad is everything around the holidays?

central scotland
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
1. Re: best way to get from JFK to Hells Kitchen Area

i would use the airlink shuttle but if you're better off than me you might splash out the extra for a taxi !

New York, New York
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
75 reviews
2. Re: best way to get from JFK to Hells Kitchen Area

Uh-oh. Sounds like you're arriving and departing at rush hour. Take that into consideration and add 45 min. - 1 hour for transport into and out of the city.

There are many, many posts here on transport from JFK. Here's one--keep reading down the list for JFK/LIRR and just reverse the directions:

tripadvisor.com/…5263893

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
86,157 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: best way to get from JFK to Hells Kitchen Area

How many of you are traveling? That makes a big difference. Also, "Hell's Kitchen area" is not good enough for really good advice. Give 2 cross streets (ie 49 st. & 10th ave.) Also depends on how much luggage you have.

There's an Express bus to/from JFK that costs $15/person or $27 roundtrip that goes to the Port Authority bus terminal at 42 st & 8th ave. which is considered part of Hell's Kitchen (I think). If there are just 2 of you and you can walk from there, that's one decent option. No changing or switching of trains etc. and no dropping off other people at their hotels (although it will stop first at Grand Central Terminal)

If you want to take the train back on the 26th, you get the LIRR at Penn Station (34 st & 8th ave.) and go to the Jamaica station in Queens. There you change for the AirTrain which goes to JFK.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: best way to get from JFK to Hells Kitchen Area

To avoid car traffic, use the Air Train! If you don't have that much luggage, it is fabulous!

Take the Air Train to Jamaica-Sutphin Boulevard (not Howard Beach) and take the E train into Manhattan. Get off at 50th Street/8th Ave.

You buy a $5 MetroCard on the way out of the Airtrain in order to exit. Then you buy another fare $2 to get on the subway. Seven bucks well spent.

You willbe doing a reverse commute, so you'll probly get a seat.

What is your exact final desitnation?

Why are you asking about the LIRR? Yes, you can catch the LIRR at the Jamaica Station, and it will take you to 34th Street/7th ave in Manhattan. Is this near where you want to go?

www.mta.info/nyct/service/airport.htm#kennedy

http://www.mta.info/mta/airtrain.htm

How bad is traffic? Very.

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
278 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: best way to get from JFK to Hells Kitchen Area

the place I am staying is at 47th and 10th

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: best way to get from JFK to Hells Kitchen Area

OK, so in that case, if you are still interested in the AirTrain, I'd stick with taking it to Jamaica and catching the E train to 50th Street and 8th Ave. There will be stairs going down to and getting out of the subway. If you can roll your luggage, walk to your destination. Or else, take a taxi for this leg (it's about half a mile).

Hell's Kitchen is a good area. Trendy but not horribly snooty. Lots of dining options, and a short walk to Theatre District adn Times Square. There are a lot of new restaurant on 9th and 10th Aves in the 40s, btw.

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
278 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: best way to get from JFK to Hells Kitchen Area

can you tell me some good places to dine on our way to Mary Poppins or right around there too?

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: best way to get from JFK to Hells Kitchen Area

You'll be in rstaurant heaven! Just stay away from chain restaurants. You have no use for them here! There are a lot of previous posts on hell's Kitchen and pre-theatre dining.

You can find a list of restaurants by going to www.menupages.com and looking at the listings for the West 40s and 50s. Just check a map of the address, though, so you don't end up schlepping too far.

West 40s

www.menupages.com/restaurants.asp…

West 50s

www.menupages.com/restaurants.asp…

Here are previous posts on dining in Hell's Kitchen. Happy reading and eating!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k313654-… Restaurant_suggestions_for_Theater_District_Hell_s_Kitchen

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k620963-… Hell_s_Kitchen-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k443527-… Hell_s_kitchen-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k485618-… Restaurant_suggestions_for_57th_St_and_9th_10th_area-

9. Re: best way to get from JFK to Hells Kitchen Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, August 26, 2009