We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penn Station to Worth Street?

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
reviews: 34
Penn Station to Worth Street?

Does anyone know how close Penn Station is to Worth Street? How long it would take to get there by cab at around 10:30 a.m.? I'm trying to figure out what time I need to arrive in NYC to get to a meeting there.

Thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
1. Re: Penn Station to Worth Street?

Worth st. is downtown near the courts--Penn Station is at 34 st. If you go to hopstop.com and put in the 2 locations, you'll get a recommended way to go and can also get time and est. price for a taxi. I think a subway would take 30 mins. Taxi maybe a bit more.

New York City, New...
reviews: 19
2. Re: Penn Station to Worth Street?

I recommend taking the subway rather than a taxi. The #1 "local" subway ride from Penn Station to the Franklin Street station (2 blocks above Worth St) takes about 15 minutes -- or you could opt for a #3 or 3 express train to the Chamber Streets stop, 4 blocks below Worth Street; the only stop between Penn Station & Chambers is 14th St.

New York City
reviews: 1
3. Re: Penn Station to Worth Street?

Subway would be faster than taxi. From 34th St station take the #2 or #3 express DOWNTOWN to Chambers St. Subway trip about 10 mnutes. Walk north to Worth St. Total trip with walking and waiting for a train will be around 20 minutes.

Washington, DC
4. Re: Penn Station to Worth Street?

Thank you, everyone, for your fast and helpful replies. I'll be taking the subway for sure.

New York City
reviews: 3
5. Re: Penn Station to Worth Street?

Worth Street is aobut four blocks north of Chambers Street, to which it is parallel.

Where on Worth St. are you going?

If it is 40 Worth for the NYC DOT, or an address lower than that, as RQF says Chambers Street on the 2 and 3 (which you can catch at Penn Station) is the best to use. Just exit and walk north on West Broadway to Worth. If the address is something like 60 or 70 Worth, then Chambers on the A and C is closer -- you can get both the A and the C at the other end of Penn Station; ride in the back of the train and exit near the last car, and then walk north on Church St. If you are going to 125 Worth for the Health Department, or anything with an address higher than that, the closest station is Brooklyn Bridge on the 4/5/6. From Penn Station I would walk one block east to Sixth Avenue and take the N, R, Q or W downtown from the 34th Street stop (although there is an entrance on 32nd Street, if that is where you come out of Penn, right behind Horace Greeley in the square) to Unioin Square, and change for the 4, 5, or 6. Ride towards the back of the train, and exit by going down and then up to the eixt for Foley Square, where the courthouses are -- Worth Street is the street along the north edge of the square.

Queens, New York
reviews: 5
6. Re: Penn Station to Worth Street?

For directions and distances:

www.hopstop.com

have you considered using Mapquest or Google Maps? They're good for distances.

www.maps.google.com

www.mapquest.com

I'd also aim for getting on a 4,5 or 6 train, as they are indeed the closest to the government buildngs on Worth Street, as GWB said and stay in the back of the train. To really get the closest exit, you need to go through the connective pedestrian tunnel (follow signs towards the J, M, Z trains but don't get on one).

New York City
reviews: 3
7. Re: Penn Station to Worth Street?

Irrelevant trivia - "Worth Street" is one of the ghost stations of the subway system. When the system was built, stations were shorter than they are now (think South Ferry), and there was a station at Worth Street. When the stations were lengthened, Brooklyn Bridge was lengthened to the north, and that put it so close to Worth Street that a separate station was considered unnecessary. Worth Street station was then closed, and for a time the Brooklyn Bridge station was actually called "Worth Street/Brooklynb Bridge". If you watch carefully out of the windows of a downtown #6 after it leaves Canal Street, you may see the abandoned Worth St. station through the dark -- especially if your train is delayed in getting into Brooklyn Bridge, and pauses momentarily in the tunnel.

Washington, DC
8. Re: Penn Station to Worth Street?

Thanks, GreenWhiteBlue and QueensBoulevard. I am indeed going to one of the government buildings so it looks like the Brooklyn Bridge station is the stop for me.