We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget for 10 days in NYC (including 2 days in Philadelphia)

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leicester, United...
Budget for 10 days in NYC (including 2 days in Philadelphia)

Hi, I'm about to buy dollars and need advice on how much to take with me.

I'll be in America from the 3rd of June until the 13th, specifically NYC and two days visiting a friend in Philadelphia. I'm a student on a student budget so I don't plan on fancy dining or taxis or splashing out on shopping- I just want to see the city :)

For transportation, I know it's $5 each way for the Jamaica air train and the metro card is $30 for a week so, unless I end up stuck without public transport, I shouldn't have to spend much more than $40. This obviously doesn't include my transport to and from Philly.

That leaves the cost of my food and attractions. I want to see maybe four or five paid things and also look out for pay-what-you-want museums etc. I'm keen on Top of The Rock, MoMA, Metropolitan Museum and World Trade Center Memorial but I'll happily take any recommendations.

My accommodation is already covered, by the way!

Saint Louis...
reviews: 27
1. Re: Budget for 10 days in NYC (including 2 days in Philadelphia)

Do you have a credit card? Almost all hotels will expect to take an imprint of your card against any possible additional charges, even if you've prepaid. If you use a debit or cash card for this purpose then the amount on hold won't be available to you during your stay. If you use a credit card you'll never notice the hold unless you're right up against your credit card limit. Nothing is actually charged to the card so this doesn't cost you anything.

If you're on a budget you may prefer either the bus or the lower cost train to Philadelphia. The lower cost train involves taking a New York commuter train, New Jersey Transit, from New York to Trenton and changing there for a Philadelphia commuter train, SEPTA, from Trenton to Philadelphia,. It's fine to do this, but slower than Amtrak, the inter-city passenger rail carrier.

Leicester, United...
2. Re: Budget for 10 days in NYC (including 2 days in Philadelphia)

Sorry if I wasn't clear about the accommodation. I'm too poor to go for hotels but I'm lucky enough to have a friend in the city who's offered to let me stay with them.

Would $800-ish be too little?

New York City, New...
reviews: 2
3. Re: Budget for 10 days in NYC (including 2 days in Philadelphia)

I don't think 800 is too little for a bare budget. It's completely doable to eat from delis, pizzerias, or whatever other takeout places NYC has for less than $30 per day. You'll need more if you do some sit down meals. Alcohol is fairly expensive too. A night out anywhere will usually run at least $25. That does leave plenty of other money for some attractions and other things. If you watch your spending, $800 will work.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

Leicester, United...
4. Re: Budget for 10 days in NYC (including 2 days in Philadelphia)

Thanks, that's really helpful! I've read many people saying a budget of $250 per day is needed, so I'm relieved to hear I can survive :)

The alcohol won't be an issue given that I'm only 20- though it'll be some shock to the system since my non-fake id has been accepted here for over two years :L

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 14
5. Re: Budget for 10 days in NYC (including 2 days in Philadelphia)

$800 for 10 days is a somewhat tight budget, especially if that includes a number of paid attractions.

Are you happy enough eating at casual restaurants without table service? Do you plan on drinking (alcohol) at bars, or with meals? This will make a difference.

For any restaurant with table service where a server takes your order and brings your food, you'll need to add 15-20% tip on top of the base price for the meal + beverages. Drinking at the bar can also add up, and you tip on that too.

$80 is not impossible, but you'll need to be careful with your spending and do some planning. There are lots of fabulous "cheap eats" places in NYC with great food, but you won't necessarily bump into them when doing touristy things and suddenly getting hungry. It will take some planning.

If you are staying with a friend, you'll also be able to eat some meals in. That will make a big difference in your budget.

You might want to consider whether you'll want to take your friend out for a nice meal or two as a "thank you" for hosting you.

Syracuse, New York
reviews: 15
6. Re: Budget for 10 days in NYC (including 2 days in Philadelphia)

Check out this article tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c62659/New-Yor…

7. Re: Budget for 10 days in NYC (including 2 days in Philadelphia)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 15, 2015