We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Baggage in NYC??

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, Australia
reviews: 8
Buying Baggage in NYC??

Hi all, just wondering if anybody, possibly Aussies that have done this, could give me some info on buying baggage in NYC whilst holidaying there due to excess buying and that sort of thing. Is it much cheaper than at home and where is the best places to go, thanks in advance guys.

Cheers,

Pete

8 replies to this topic
Melbourne
reviews: 7
1. Re: Buying Baggage in NYC??

I found it pretty pricey. I had to buy one when I was there a few weeks ago- I bought a really big duffle bag on wheels from a souveneir store, it cost me $60 (I talked him down from $70). I do think there would be cheaper places for sure- so don't wait till the last minute like me haha

Yalesville...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Buying Baggage in NYC??

Check Century 21, Macy's - or other large department stores.

$60 for a rolling duffel is not a bad price.

Napier, New Zealand
reviews: 13
3. Re: Buying Baggage in NYC??

any of the discount stores are the best place to get luggage from, I have done it on quiet a few occassions, Ross Dress for Less, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Century 21 and loehmanns would be the best prices

Saint Louis...
reviews: 27
4. Re: Buying Baggage in NYC??

For inexpensive stuff try K Mart on W. 34th Street (between 7th and 8th Avenues.)

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 5
5. Re: Buying Baggage in NYC??

Marshalls was great, and it was easily half the price of buying a suitcase in Australia.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 18
6. Re: Buying Baggage in NYC??

I second AudenHoggart's suggestion for the Kmart which is attached to Penn Station.

A little background, I usually come for my short stays with just a carry on bag for the overhead bin, and a "man purse" that carries my Ipad and paperwork to keep with me on the plane.

A few trips back I had bought just a bit too much stuff to fit into my carry on, so I headed to the Kmart (which I'd seen when arriving at Penn from EWR) and bought a small folding duffel bag for $9.95. I was able to put my man purse inside, the excess things I'd purchased, and it was still small enough to qualify as a "personal item" for the airline. It folds up really small, so I now pack it in my carry on for every trip, just in case I need a little extra room on the way home.

For the OP, these bags come in a variety of sizes and most can be had for $40 or less even the biggest. As long as there's nothing fragile packed in them, they will easily make the trip home to Oz.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 14
7. Re: Buying Baggage in NYC??

In my experience, TJ Maxx always has a good selection of discount bags and luggage, including some high quality brands. Marshall's too, but I generally find TJ Maxx better for bags.

Saint Louis...
reviews: 27
8. Re: Buying Baggage in NYC??

FWIW, I once bought a cheap rollerbag in K-Mart. It came with a ten year guarantee. Nine years in, and with a lot of use, it started to fall apart. Luckily, I found the original receipt. I took the receipt and rollerbag into K-Mart and they gave me a new one, no questions asked.

Reply to: Buying Baggage in NYC??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted