We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

heading to New York and need help with best hotel solutions

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Georgetown, Ontario
reviews: 34
heading to New York and need help with best hotel solutions

My son and I are arriving at JFK on May 4th in the morning. We are staying for 2 nights and flying out from JFK at 6:30am on the 6th. We have tickets for the Yankees on Sunday and tickets for The Tonight show on the Monday May 5th. I am thinking we have three options regarding hotels:

1. Stay near the airport and take the train back and forth into Manhattan.

2. Stay in Manhattan for both nights and get up very early in order to make our May 6th 6:30am flight.

3. Stay in Manhattan for Sunday May 4th, check out of hotel and see if we can leave luggage at hotel till later that night. Pick luggage up and head out to hotel near JFK the night of May 5th.

My questions are:

1. Which is our best hotel solution, or can you suggest something different?

2. Need a recommendation for a decent, not too expensive hotel for two. Two beds would be nice but if costs are too high we could handle one bed.

3. If we were to decide to go with a hotel in Manhattan and by JFK, will we be able to store our luggage somewhere for the day?

4. If we stay in Manhattan both nights, how difficult is it to get to JFK. Need to be at JKF no later than 5:30am (flight is 6:30am, domestic).

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanking everyone in advance for your help,

GSouth

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
1. Re: heading to New York and need help with best hotel solutions

Staying at JFK for both nights makes no sense. It's too far, especially from Yankee stadium and the logistics of getting to most JFK hotels from Manhattan is complicated. Your options imo, are to stay in Manhattan for 2 nights and get up very early for your flight (no problem getting out to JFK at any hour) or stay one night in Manhattan and one night EITHER at JFK OR at another Queens location like Long island City near a subway. The decision about the second night depends on how worried you are about getting up in time, convenience/inconvenience of moving hotels and perhaps budget. Is the 6:30 am flight domestic (in the US) or International? Do you know what time the airline requests you arrive at the airport? What do you consider an acceptable nightly hotel budget?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
2. Re: heading to New York and need help with best hotel solutions

Sorry, I see you answered that. Is 5:30 your time or the airline's?

Any hotel will hold your bags for the day. Some might charge but even if they don't you'd tip the person who takes them.

Center Moriches...
reviews: 51
3. Re: heading to New York and need help with best hotel solutions

Seems the best choice is two nights Manhattan/Long Island City. The luggage is the stumbling block, otherwise just spend second night at airport hotel.

Georgetown, Ontario
4. Re: heading to New York and need help with best hotel solutions

Flight is domestic, airline(jet blue) says to be there 30min. before flight but I would like to be there at least an hour early. Budget would be $200.00 a night.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
5. Re: heading to New York and need help with best hotel solutions

Ohhh, that budget changes things. You won't easily find 2 beds in Manhattan at that time. Is your son a child or an adult? If child, how old? Do you belong to AAA? Do you have a preference on moving or not?

Center Moriches...
reviews: 51
6. Re: heading to New York and need help with best hotel solutions

Many threads on this forum about staying in Long Island City, which is more affordable and an easy hop to Manhattan on subway and return to JFK via subway and Airtrain.

Georgetown, Ontario
7. Re: heading to New York and need help with best hotel solutions

We can go with only one bed. Just using room to sleep in as we will be on the go most of the time.

Georgetown, Ontario
8. Re: heading to New York and need help with best hotel solutions

So from Long Island City one would take the subway into Manhattan and for JFK it would be a subway/airtrain to get there? where do you connect to the Airtrain?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
9. Re: heading to New York and need help with best hotel solutions

Sutphin Blvd. If you go to

maps.google.com

and type any trip (ie Verve hotel Long Island City to JFK airport NYC) and then click the train icon on the upper left corner, you get step by step train/bus directions. Some of the hotels in Long Island City are not near enough to a subway station to be practical. Before booking anything either check back here or put the hotel on google maps and look for the blue m's which are subways.

Sunday night is a good one to find great hotel rates. Rethinking this, if you don't mind moving, I would stay in Manhattan on arrival and then move to Long Island City or out to JFK on the 2nd night. There are really lots of good options in Manhattan including the Doubletree Guest Suites in Times Square which is all 1 bedroom suites. Even if you get a queen bed there will be a sofabed if your son prefers that. Look at pricing on

kayak.com

Since you're moving, unless you think you'll want to change clothes on day 2, I might just plan to head out to a JFK hotel on the second night. The Hampton Inn JFK is typically the best option.

Georgetown, Ontario
10. Re: heading to New York and need help with best hotel solutions

Thanks for all your help. We have booked a place in Long Island City that is only 15min by train to get to Times sq. and are looking forward to our trip! Thanks again.