We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit NYC - 22 March to 28 March 2014

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Port Elizabeth...
Visit NYC - 22 March to 28 March 2014

me and my wife will be visiting New York from 22 - 28 March. This is our first trip to this part of the world .

can any body advise us which is the cheapest way to see and travel in and around NY as we have a limited budget ( weak South Africa Currency to US$ - about 11-1 at present)

thanks

7 replies to this topic
Mount Isa, Australia
reviews: 144
1. Re: Visit NYC - 22 March to 28 March 2014

The best way to get around, no matter your budget, is with a 7 day metrocard. It's only $31.00 and will pay for itself after a few days and is much cheaper than paying $2.75 each time you use the subway.

In terms of what to see and do, have you done any research yet? Start by getting a guidebook from your library, even if its a bit old, many of the attractions will still be the same. You can also have a look at the top questions on the right hand side (not viewable on smart phones), especially the ones about "must sees and dos" and "I'm on a tight budget, can I enjoy NYC cheaply". Google also will provide lots of suggestions about free things to see and do.

Port Elizabeth...
2. Re: Visit NYC - 22 March to 28 March 2014

thanks a lot

Brooklyn, NY
reviews: 1
3. Re: Visit NYC - 22 March to 28 March 2014

Subway is actually $2.50 if you use a pay per ride card. The $2.75 is for a one way trip(which hardly anyone ever uses.)

But the 7 day unlimited Metrocard is the best value as stated...

Port Elizabeth...
4. Re: Visit NYC - 22 March to 28 March 2014

would you know if i can buy one online from South Africa? or can you direct me to a website that can assist me tp purchase one.

thanks

Farouk

Brooklyn, NY
reviews: 1
5. Re: Visit NYC - 22 March to 28 March 2014

^^

No.

You need to purchase it at a subway station(or some vendors/merchants) when you get to NYC...

Sydney, New South...
reviews: 45
6. Re: Visit NYC - 22 March to 28 March 2014

you should look at doing some free walking tours. i did one when i was in new york and it takes you all around the city (depending on which tour you choose) and you get to pay what you would like at the end of the tour. i recommend having a look at www.freetoursbyfoot.com

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 13
7. Re: Visit NYC - 22 March to 28 March 2014

Here's a link about NYC on a budget from the "Top Questions" section: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c62659/New-Yor…

You might want to read through the rest of the Top Questions for additional ideas and helpful info.

Reply to: Visit NYC - 22 March to 28 March 2014
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted