We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's Eve or New Year's Day wedding?

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Truro, United...
reviews: 14
New Year's Eve or New Year's Day wedding?

Hi all... my fiancé and I are planning a New York winter wedding and are toying with the idea of either a New Year's Eve wedding or a New Year's Day wedding. One problem though, neither of us have been before so we need as much help as possible! We'll have a 12 year old and a 2 year old with us, and possibly a few family members so want a small, intimate venue. If we had a NYE wedding, would there be much of a problem with getting around as I'm aware of road closures for Central Park? We also need ideas for some sort of reception, again small and intimate, but bearing in mind if we went for a NYE wedding it would be the party of a lifetime! Or should we forget NYE and go for NY Day? Also ideas for photographers and hotels...So many questions, but any help will be gratefully received!

13 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 13
1. Re: New Year's Eve or New Year's Day wedding?

NYE is VERY crowded. Hotels are outrageously expensive. Businesses that might be involved in your wedding day plans (such as restaurants) may be crazy busy with NYE stuff.

New Years day will be a bit more sane, but you and your guests would still need to arrive prior to New Years Day, so would be paying the premium hotel prices.

How about a Christmas wedding? Right around Christmas Day, hotel prices are more reasonable. Lots of the major holiday tourism happens earlier in December.

Brooklyn, NY
reviews: 1
2. Re: New Year's Eve or New Year's Day wedding?

If you want t do this on NYE..be prepared to pay a premium!

Saint Louis...
reviews: 27
3. Re: New Year's Eve or New Year's Day wedding?

I don't know how this works for the U.K., but for American citizens this choice could have significant income tax consequences. If you get married on Dec. 31st you've been married for the entire year as far as the Internal Revenue Service is concerned.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
4. Re: New Year's Eve or New Year's Day wedding?

I don't know why you've picked those dates or what you envision, but from a logistics and budget standpoint coming from the UK, it seems like an expensive proposition and complicated with kids. Gettng around is the least of your problems..finding a venue is the bigger issue. If you dont mind just having a table at a restaurant where there are other people, assuming they'd take the kids, then NYE might be ok. You could have the ceremony at the clerk's office during the day on NYE day and then do dinner in the evening. But keep in mind

-hotel prices are quite high at that time, whichever day you pick.

NYE falls on a Wed. this year. Typcally, to get best airfare from the UK, you need to stay over a Sat. night so you're talking about at least 6 nights hotel.

-Any restaurant will be pricey on NYE. Even if you do a lunch on NYE day, then what do people do for that night? It's expensive.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 50
5. Re: New Year's Eve or New Year's Day wedding?

This becomes even more complicated by the fact that you say neither of you have been to the city before. Just navigating to find your trades and resources for a wedding will be a Grand Opus compounded by the timing, the most expensive and busiest days of the holiday season.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
6. Re: New Year's Eve or New Year's Day wedding?

I dont think findng hair, flowers, photographers etc. is that complicated given how many people on the forum have done it and provided names and reviews. It's really the budget and logistics with kids that I think will be hard.

Truro, United...
reviews: 14
7. Re: New Year's Eve or New Year's Day wedding?

Thank you for all your help. We've decided on New Year's Day (the date has an important significance for us) and are planning on Top of the Rock (just ourselves, the two children, the officiant and photographer/witness). Very low-key, a quick 20 minutes and done! We are thinking early afternoon then scooting off for a bottle of bubbly, nice food but kid-friendly. Any ideas? We are staying at Affinia Gardens so would you suggest we head closer to home or stay in the Rockefeller area? Thanks all :)

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 50
8. Re: New Year's Eve or New Year's Day wedding?

Try Balthazars in Soho.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
9. Re: New Year's Eve or New Year's Day wedding?

Have you contacted Top of the Rock. Do not assume you can just show up and have a wedding--even if it is the small number of people you mentioned it IS private property and you can't just assume it is okay.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 13
10. Re: New Year's Eve or New Year's Day wedding?

How exciting! TOTR definitely has some weddings, including small ones. I agree that it's a good idea to contact them to see if any special procedures will need to be followed to have a quick wedding ceremony. You won't necessarily have any private space around you without that being specially arranged, but maybe you'll have fun with it. The crowd will probably enjoy watching. They may be in the pictures. Even if you don't need a bit of private space, check anyway.

There will be a good number of restaurants open for brunch on New Years day. Typically, late afternoon is a limited time for restaurants. Many close between lunch or brunch service and dinner. The holiday may further reduce your options for late afternoon. It's not impossible though.

If it were me, with the small but exciting wedding, I'd want to head directly to the celebration bubbly and food. Keep the momentum going.

So, that may mean that late morning/early afternoon is best for the ceremony (for brunch after). It may be challenging figuring out all your restaurant options for New Years brunch this early, but with just 4 of you, waiting until closer to the time should work.

I agree that you don't necessarily have to limit yourself to near Rockefeller Center or near your hotel :-)

Reply to: New Year's Eve or New Year's Day wedding?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted