We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Others experiences at Le Bernardin?

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Warwick, Rhode...
reviews: 81
Others experiences at Le Bernardin?

We were very excited about our 10pm dinner reservation this past Monday night at this restaurant. Although the food and service was great, the ambience was awful. Not sure I can blame it on the restaurant, or should I? I was very shocked to see many, many young children dining. Well, they were not eating, so I should say attending. Believe me I love kids, I work in pediatrics, but this was out of hand. Directly behind me was a girl about 5 yrs old playing a videogame the entire time with the sound on. To my left was a table with 2 boys under ten that never sat down. They continously walked around the table and arm wrestled one another. Behind my husband was a young boy, maybe 4 yrs, that was screaming, throwing a deck of cards up in the air that dad would just get up, pick up and give back to him. This would go on over and over. He flung a lamb chop at one point that no one picked up. Finally, they gave him an iphone to play games on, again with the sound on. Needless to say, this was not the meal I had hoped for. Staff never said anything and I admit I didn't either. Was this just my bad luck?

Yalesville...
reviews: 1
31. Re: Others experiences at Le Bernardin?

If I were spending $800.00 for a meal having to deal with what was described - I would have spoken up, not to waitstaff, I'd have sought out someone in management.

Also, children at a world class restaurant at this time is certainly a sign of bad parenting; making light of the issue certainly is no consolation to the annoyance other diners had to endure.

It costs nothing to register a legitimate complaint and if doing so - it should be directed to the restaurant and not on the internet - that is what I would do and have in the past most recently for an incident at a restaurant on Cape Cod, MA - due to a service issue - as a result I had the entire bill subtracted from my CC account. It does pay to speak up and I hope the OP does so, ASAP.

Poppa

Edited: 11:33 pm, January 03, 2014
Launceston...
reviews: 6
32. Re: Others experiences at Le Bernardin?

Oh My,

I have just been reading all the post's.How sad and frustrating for you.

A special night out, looking forward so much to a meal and have it ruined by selfish parents, because thats what they were.

A few years ago I was looking forward to an anniversary meal and had booked months in advance and we had the table from hell next to us with BRATS and I got myself so worked up and the much planned evening I could see was going pear shaped, I told the waiter to bring us drinks only and would wait for our meal and eat after our neighbour's had departed as I didn't want it ruined.They very quickly found us another table and moved us.

Back in my day, I know I am getting old when I say this but, but, if my parents told me to sit and not make a noise and behave, that was it, end of story, I didn't move or make a sound.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Heidelberg
reviews: 30
33. Re: Others experiences at Le Bernardin?

I agree with Anyat

"Kids will be kids. I blame the parents in times like this, not the restaurant"

And you can imagine the "type", who have $ ($$$$) to take all these kids to top end restaurants, and "after bedtime." No one says that having money makes you a good parent.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 24
34. Re: Others experiences at Le Bernardin?

I blame the parents in this case too. They should have tried to book a table for a more appropriate hour to have dinner with their kids, or for another day, or better yet gotten a sitter. 10pm dinner with kids....Geez.

I feel for the OP.

Warwick, Rhode...
35. Re: Others experiences at Le Bernardin?

Thanks, everyone. I plan on contacting the restaurant and see what type of response I receive before writing a TA review. I agree that this is bad parenting. And, yes, I should have complained, but I do feel that the restaurant should have intervened to a degree.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 5
36. Re: Others experiences at Le Bernardin?

Sounds like one of those standoff situations where other diners hoped someone else would complain, and the staff thought that since no-one was complaining, they would try and ignore it...

Such a shame nobody jumped out of their seat and yelled "What, you want me to pay $800 bucks to put up with this bull***t? Fuhgeddabout it!" in classic NY style :-)

Warwick, Rhode...
37. Re: Others experiences at Le Bernardin?

Just wrote to the restaurant. I will let you know what if any response I receive.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Heidelberg
reviews: 30
38. Re: Others experiences at Le Bernardin?

I look forward to hearing their response! I am sure they will try to satisfy you.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
39. Re: Others experiences at Le Bernardin?

Yes, let us know what they say.

It's minor, but what's been described is the opposite of "free-range parenting." Free range is about teaching your kids to interact independently and maturely in an adult world without hovering. This sounds like no parenting at all.