We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A weird hotel booking question

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Syracuse, New York
reviews: 15
A weird hotel booking question

I have a theater trip planned for Veteran's Day weekend in the city. I was wondering if I should try to get another trip in before the snow flies in earnest & discovered that my calendar is completely free in December (which never happens.) If I go down I will either fly down & stay with my friends in Queens or drive down & stay in either the Travel Inn or the Skyline Hotel so I can park my car & stay in a fairly frugal manner.

Here is my question. Would there be any advantage to checking out the prices in person when I'm in the city or would I be better off booking ahead? I would probably go either the 1st or 2nd weekend in December depending on the work schedule & whether my brother would be available to keep an eye out on my mother whom I live with & is rather elderly.

Any thoughts?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
1. Re: A weird hotel booking question

The first weekend of Dec. is probably the busiest of the year apart from New Year's Eve. I've always been told you get better prices online or by phone vs. walking in but you never know. What I really think you need to do is develop a relationship with the manager or the head desk person in the hotel you like the best since you come so often. You'd be surprised how happy hotels are to have steady customers. What you might do is check prices online now. Maybe even book something cancelable, and then when you're in NYC, go in and talk to the manager of the Skyline which is your preferred place I think and see. I'd also seriously consider the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor for those weekends

Syracuse, New York
2. Re: A weird hotel booking question

Thanks for the Sheridan but, if I don't stay in midtown, I'd just as soon fly & stay with my friends in Queens as I'm used to traveling from there to Manhattan & one of my friends works for the MTA so I get free & easy public transportation advice.

I'll go on-line when I decide on which weekend I will be coming.

Thanks for your help.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
reviews: 243
3. Re: A weird hotel booking question

I would book now (a room/rate that is cancelable), and check in person with the manager of your favorite and/or preferred hotels when you are in town!

Long Island
reviews: 22
4. Re: A weird hotel booking question

I agree with Whiz above. As a general rule, booking online will get you cheaper prices. Just so you know, and this may or may not apply to you, but many hotel chains have online specials that are not available/accessible by even the local branch manager. If you call the individual hotel, they may even refer you to the online site for better pricing. I've had this happen on multiple occasions when I've called the hotel directly. But it never hurts to try if you have the time.

I specifically recall one time I was staying at a Hyatt in Toronto where I got a fantastic rate online (less than $100/night - it was some sort of special rate promotion they had going at the time). I was by the front desk waiting to ask a question and a couple came in to ask for nightly rates and the best they could do was not anywhere close to what I got. I then later checked to see the rates online and my rate was still applicable.

Syracuse, New York
5. Re: A weird hotel booking question

Thanks to all. I need to check to see what weekend is best & then I'll book a refundable room on line.

6. Re: A weird hotel booking question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 20, 2014