We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 hour downtime at JFK (pre-security)- What to do

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Byram, NJ
reviews: 2
3 hour downtime at JFK (pre-security)- What to do

Hubby and I have separate flights back from Johannesburg (His flight's for business with layover in Heathrow, mine's direct). So, I'll be arriving at JFK about 3 hours before him, but we still would like to share car service home. I don't mind waiting as long as I can find a comfortable place to relax and maybe a decent bite to eat. Arriving Terminal 4, but don't mind taking the AirTrain to another terminal to wait if there's a better place to relax. Any ideas?

18 replies to this topic
Astoria, New York
1. Re: 3 hour downtime at JFK (pre-security)- What to do

www.sleepinginairports.net/usa/newyorkjfk.htm

T1 has a large food court.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
2. Re: 3 hour downtime at JFK (pre-security)- What to do

I think the best food is in the Jet Blue terminal which is 5 but I think it may be past security (can't remember). There's supposed to be a Palm restaurant in Terminal 4.

http://www.jfkiat.com/eat.html

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
3. Re: 3 hour downtime at JFK (pre-security)- What to do

Whiz--all those areas are AFTER security. ( read the fine print) I just spent 2 hours waiting for someone arriving at JFK --in addition to my own frequent arrivals.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
4. Re: 3 hour downtime at JFK (pre-security)- What to do

Sooooo.....Where should she wait? Inquiring minds want to know.;)

Syracuse, New York
reviews: 7
5. Re: 3 hour downtime at JFK (pre-security)- What to do

Here is a list of restaurants by terminal.

panynj.gov/airports/jfk-shops-restaurants-se…

Long Island
reviews: 35
6. Re: 3 hour downtime at JFK (pre-security)- What to do

You will find that most of the food venues at the various terminals are after security as the departing passenger is their customer base, not someone waiting at the airport.

Syracuse, New York
7. Re: 3 hour downtime at JFK (pre-security)- What to do

What I might do is, even if your restaurant is outside of security, it would still be in the terminal. Look through the list of restaurants & see if something strikes your fancy whether it is in his terminal or yours. If it is in his, then I would go to his terminal. If you see something in your terminal, ask him to meet you there. Or you could stay in your terminal & ask your husband to call you when he lands then go to meet up.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
8. Re: 3 hour downtime at JFK (pre-security)- What to do

Arriving passengers do NOT have access to post security restaurants. The arrival and departure areas are NOT linked. ( for passengers) Unfortunately it is a bad scene. I spent 2 hours yesterday keeping departing people in Terminal 4 company. Like others--we ended up sitting around the perimeter of the departure level floor--on the floor!

Syracuse, New York
9. Re: 3 hour downtime at JFK (pre-security)- What to do

However, could the OP go to her restaurant of choice & meet her husband when he arrives? It would seem logical but then I'm not an expert in NYC airports.

Long Island
reviews: 22
10. Re: 3 hour downtime at JFK (pre-security)- What to do

There is an iphone app called GateGuru (a tripadvisor company) that lists amenities at airports. It also lists if the amenity is pre-security or not. FYI, since so many people here are excited about it (I am so-so on it), there is a Shake Shack listed at Terminal 4 by Gate B 31.

Reply to: 3 hour downtime at JFK (pre-security)- What to do
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted