We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midtown a good place with kids for what we want to do?

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cooroy, Australia
reviews: 43
Midtown a good place with kids for what we want to do?

Hello,

Planning on visiting NYC next yr the first wk of Sept as part of our wonderful USA trip.

We are family of 4 inc girls 8/6 yrs.

Looking at midtown area, want to visit Times Square, Rockafella Centre, Central Park for Zoo, carousel plus Museum of Natural History.

Also trip to see Statue of Liberty and Empire State Building.

Is transport easy to use to access places not withing walking distance or would taxi cab be better?

Also suggestions of hotels mid range is fine for the 4 of us. 5 or 6 nights ? $2500?

Thanks in advance

14 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 50
1. Re: Midtown a good place with kids for what we want to do?

The area will be fine for what you want to see and do. New York is a walking city and best seen by foot or by subway, which is easy, safe and efficient. Use taxis only when necessary and avoid during rush hour traffic.

Is that Australian or US dollars? You will need exact dates as rates fluctuate on a daily basis and please include the type of room/rooms you require as well as bed configuration. Keep in mind that September is high season and hotels can be pricey.

Cooroy, Australia
reviews: 43
2. Re: Midtown a good place with kids for what we want to do?

Hi,

US dollars please. It should be Sept 2 to Sept 7 looking for 2 double or queen beds , hotel room is fine with coffee making Facilities would be good. i didn't realize it was still high season but if so I have no choice :( Could you recommend other accom areas that may be within my budget. I was hoping allocation around $400 per night would give us something reasonable. Thanks again :)

San Diego...
3. Re: Midtown a good place with kids for what we want to do?

Hi sandan - for the sake of accurancy and for when you search websites the correct spelling is Rockefeller Center. (Not Rockafella). The main reason why it is important is that it is the name of a an actual person. He was important to NYC history. It also helps to have the right spelling when you search the internet for info.

http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/history/

Enjoy your visit to NYC!

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 1
4. Re: Midtown a good place with kids for what we want to do?

New York is a very easy city to get around using public transport . A weekly subway pass each will get you onto the subway and buses , and the Roosevelt tramway .. www.roic.com Have a look at the map to get an idea of how the subway works before you get there, there is also a good post on the right about how to ride the subway

It is still to early to be seeing any good rates for September next year , but you can have a look at the Affinia group of hotels , they have larger rooms good for family's , often with 2 queen beds , well located in midtown. www.affinia.com

Edited: 2:24 am, September 28, 2013
reviews: 5
5. Re: Midtown a good place with kids for what we want to do?

You might look at the Hilton on 6th Ave.; also referred to Hilton on Avenue of Stars. It's a very large generic hotel but it does have a suites with two queen beds in one room and a small living area in another. Convenient location in Midtown. We've stayed twice before with our kids and for the price and location I can't find anything comparable.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 1
6. Re: Midtown a good place with kids for what we want to do?

I thought it was Avenue of Americas, though I find everyone knows where I mean by just using 6th Ave

Ohio
reviews: 15
7. Re: Midtown a good place with kids for what we want to do?

Hotel Beacon is very family friendly in an absolute wonderful neighborhood, the Upper West Side. The rooms at the Beacon are more like small apartments with kitchenettes. The subway is a two min. walk down the street.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 88
8. Re: Midtown a good place with kids for what we want to do?

Just say 6th Avenue. The City gave up on trying to call it Avenue of the Americas a while ago. Avenue of the Stars is California. That is a different place (with different weather)

Not sure why you thought September was not high season. That is actually an extremely busy time. The slowest time of the year is January and February. Why? Because most European and Australian visitors do not have enough scarves, gloves, woolies, etc. to offset the savings. The City can be absolutely brutal in January and February. Not always but it can be. July and August is a bit slower because it is beach season and more people go to places outside the cities in July and August.

New York City is busiest in September and December and also very busy in April through June (spring) and right on through between September and December. $500. / night hotels dump rooms for $99. in January and February and if I didn't have to be here I still would not be here in January and February. Many of us dread the dead of winter here.

That is a very long way of letting you know that September is busy and you'll be here during the U.S. Open and right before Fashion Week. It is an absolutely beautiful time.

The good news is that your budget should allow you to find something nice despite the peak season.

Subway is definitely the way to go.

nywhiz is our hotel expert.

reviews: 5
9. Re: Midtown a good place with kids for what we want to do?

Oops...8:26 am...guess I was still on the first cup of coffee :).

Mount Isa, Australia
reviews: 93
10. Re: Midtown a good place with kids for what we want to do?

Also have a look at radio city apartments (note this is hotel style apartment as opposed to living in someone's house/apartment which is illegal for less than a 30 day stay).

We booked them in July 2013 for February 2014 and saved so much money we ended up booking their penthouse room and still came out in front. They have multiple rooms and sleeping arrangements and also a kitchen and a table and chairs for eating which can be ideal for having breakfast before you go out for the day.

Reply to: Midtown a good place with kids for what we want to do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted