We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone fancy looking at the Itinerary of a control freak?

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, England...
reviews: 1
Anyone fancy looking at the Itinerary of a control freak?

I will probably get shot down for over-planning this trip but I want to fit in everything I can, as I know it will be a few years before we have another big trip like this.

I'm a 27 year old travelling with my 33 year old husband. Flying from Cardiff via Schipol with KLM/Delta on 21st Aug, leaving from JFK at 18.00 on the 28th, staying in a Superior king room at theWaldorf Astoria (Free complimentary night, and rate the same as for the cheapest room $309 a night not including taxes). Itinerary looks like this:

Day 1 - Weds

Land at JFK 11.40 (EDT), Airtrain and subway to the hotel (probably too early to check-in)

Have a little wander around Times Square, do some shopping, see the MTV studios, Paramount Building etc.

Back to the Hotel to drop bags off etc

DINNER: Virgil's Real BBQ

Empire State Building observatory (Night views)

Cocktail in Peacock Alley at the hotel before getting some much needed sleep!

Day 2 - Thurs

Breakfast: Ess-A-Bagel (5 mins from hotel)

ToTR (Buy MoMa combo ticket), shopping in Rock centre (Lego, GNC, Nintendo shop)

5th Ave shops (Tiffany, FAO Schwarz, Chanel on E 57th), Plaza hotel (to see where Home Alone 2 was filmed!)

LUNCH ?????

MoMA (2-3 hours?)

More 5th Ave shopping

New York Public Library (1 hour?)

DINNER: ?????

21.45: Burlesque show at Nurse Bettie (Lower East Side)

Day 3 - Fri (Bit worried that I've over-filled this day and won't have the stamina to go out later!)

BREAKFAST: McDonalds (sorry but it just had to be done!)

Staten Island Ferry (there and straight back ~2hrs)

St Paul's Chapel and 9/11 memorial (2.5hrs)

LUNCH: Shake Shack

Wall St/Financial district

Century 21 shopping

Back to hotel to get ready for evening

DINNER: Spice Market

Try and get into a club in the Meatpacking district (I've seen Griffin, Le Bain etc in my guidebook but now thinking I need ideas for somewhere as a back-up)

Day 4 - Sat

Walk down to Crysler building (view the lobby)

BREAKFAST: Grand Central Station, and have a look round (2 hours)

Shopping, Macy's Old Navy, Modell's sports shop

LUNCH: ?????

Subway back to the hotel to drop bags

Central Park

Frick Collection (1.5 hours?)

Day 5 - Sun

BREAKFAST: ?????

Subway to Brooklyn

Brooklyn Heights Promenade

LUNCH: Grimaldi's Pizza

Walk over Brooklyn Bridge to Manhattan

Chinatown

<<<<<<<<<<<Bit of unplanned time>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

DINNER: ????? Can anyone recommend somewhere in Williamsburg?

Cocktails at Maison Premiere, Williamsburg

Day 6 - Mon

Metropolitan Museum (3 hours, have picked our must-sees)

Upper East side (just a walk round, I was a huge Gossip Girl fan)

Central Park again (see the outside of Guggenheim)

<<<<<<<<<Bit of free time possibly>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thinking about getting the subway over to Brooklyn for some night time skyline photography

Day 7 – Tues

SoHo

Greenwich Village

Meatpacking district

<<<<<<Nothing planned yet>>>>>>>>

19.00: Kinky Boots on Broadway (tickets booked)

DINNER: Indian restaurant (not sure which one or where, recommendations welcome!)

Day 8 – Weds

Nothing planned for the morning yet

12.00 – Check out

Flight is at 18.00, not sure what time we need to be on the Subway by (was thinking 2pm?)

A big thank you to anyone that managed to get through to the end! Advice welcome, I know some of the days are quite full but there is space towards the end of the trip. I am so looking forward to New York, it's been a lifelong dream!

Bathgate
reviews: 5
1. Re: Anyone fancy looking at the Itinerary of a control freak?

Sorry I don't have any input for the gaps in your schedule but can I just congratulate you on the detail!!!!

I'm flying out to NYC on Sept 20th and I really need to get something like this sorted!!!

Have a fantastic trip :-)

London, England...
2. Re: Anyone fancy looking at the Itinerary of a control freak?

Thanks Karen, I'll hopefully post a trip report before you go so you'll have some idea if my plan was any good! How long are you going for?

Manhattan
reviews: 6
3. Re: Anyone fancy looking at the Itinerary of a control freak?

LUNCH ?????

MoMA (2-3 hours?)

More 5th Ave shopping

New York Public Library (1 hour?)

I would do the library first and MOMA toward the end of your afternoon. It is open late on Thursdays you might even want to eat at The Moderne or the other two eating places in the museum. They all have great food.

…typepad.com/explorenyc/2012/01/moma-members…

On Tuesday I would include the Highline and galleries and Chelsea Market in your walk back uptown.

NJ
reviews: 21
4. Re: Anyone fancy looking at the Itinerary of a control freak?

I'm assuming you don't have a budget for meals? It looks very well thought out, but very exhausting. Also as an aside, you have picked some popular places for your meals, ensure you have reservations for places that accept them and have a back up plan for meals since some places have ridiculous lines (Grimaldi's and Shake Shack). Also nothing beats walking around a neighborhood and looking at menus of restaurants and walking in to the first one that takes your fancy. Have fun!

London, England...
5. Re: Anyone fancy looking at the Itinerary of a control freak?

Thanks for that, really helpful, will swap things around and it sorts out our dinner for the night. Think we'll give the Modern a miss after looking at the menu but will probably eat in one of the cafes halfway through our time in the museum to break things up a bit.

I'll add in the Highline and Chelsea market as well, thanks again!

London, England...
6. Re: Anyone fancy looking at the Itinerary of a control freak?

<<<<<<<<<I'm assuming you don't have a budget for meals? It looks very well thought out, but very exhausting. Also as an aside, you have picked some popular places for your meals, ensure you have reservations for places that accept them and have a back up plan for meals since some places have ridiculous lines (Grimaldi's and Shake Shack). Also nothing beats walking around a neighborhood and looking at menus of restaurants and walking in to the first one that takes your fancy. Have fun!>>>>>>>>

No budget for meals as such, we're planning to reserve Virgil's and Spice Market online before we go. I've read about the lines at Shake Shack and Grimaldi's (will give this a miss if the lines are too long, have read that it's best to go at 11.30 when they open). There are a few nights where the dinner choices aren't decided so hopefully that will allow us to just walk into somewhere random!

norfolk
reviews: 30
7. Re: Anyone fancy looking at the Itinerary of a control freak?

virgil's is very 'times square-ish' and not that nice, in my opinion. there are loads of really good bbq places if you look on yelp - this one for a start

yelp.co.uk/biz/daisy-mays-bbq-usa-new-york

compare the reviews

yelp.co.uk/biz/virgils-real-barbecue-new-york

i find planning the first few days a bit pointless. you won't know til you get there how the time difference etc. will affect you. we have been known to be up at 4 a.m. and sleep for 4 hours in the afternoon....

London, England...
8. Re: Anyone fancy looking at the Itinerary of a control freak?

Thanks Pam, I'm pretty expert at coping with no sleep so not worried about being too tired at the start. Working a night shift after no sleep during the day is pretty common for me!

I see what you're saying about Virgil's but I don't eat meat/chicken/most fish, just seafood. The menu looks like it will keep the both of us happy so to speak! Can't see anything I fancy on Daisy's menu :-(

Albany, NY
reviews: 5
9. Re: Anyone fancy looking at the Itinerary of a control freak?

I won't comment on your need to go to McDonald's for breakfast, but I would maybe do it later in the trip (after you have had a few more days of the great diner breakfasts, bagels, and "egg on a roll" quick breakfasts that are available in NYC), and definitely not on the same day as you do Shake Shack. Just the total number of calories I (and most people) consume at Shake Shack makes me want to skip dinner -- you don't want to get to the Spice Market already full.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Heidelberg
reviews: 32
10. Re: Anyone fancy looking at the Itinerary of a control freak?

Sometimes it fun to have some unstructured time to wander around and see what NYC "brings to you." NYC is about the unexpected, the people, the local color and the surprises. And returning to something that caught your eye. So perhaps you should schedule "Surprise!" : )