We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money etc What's Best ?

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 2
Money etc What's Best ?

Hi All,

We are travelling to New York for first time in October will be over for Halloween and have seen there is a parade, does anyone have any tips on where to watch etc we are staying in Times Square also does anyone have any advice on what to take moneywise and how to pay for things etc, i.e. should we use Credit Card or use Cash etc any help always appreciated !

Cheers

doncaster
reviews: 35
1. Re: Money etc What's Best ?

Where abouts are you traveling from?

Check the rates on using credit cards it might not be too bad.

Personally we are using the fair fx card, it has great rates and can be used widely in NYC. There are fees for withdrawing if needed but if you plan it right you wouldn't have to use that option too many times in a 5 day trip.

2. Re: Money etc What's Best ?

Cheers were travelling from uk !

doncaster
reviews: 35
3. Re: Money etc What's Best ?

Have a look into fair fx the rates are great always highest I find

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
4. Re: Money etc What's Best ?

Who is "we". If it includes young children you need to learn more about the Halloween parade and decide if you feel it is appropriate for them. I am not saying no--I am saying, be educated in your decision. If we is only adults, or older kids--go for it!

Read this ENTIRE article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York's_Village_Halloween_Parade

Birmingham, United...
5. Re: Money etc What's Best ?

Hi Nick,

We found that the majority of credit cards will charge you 3% on dollar transactions (eg. shops, restaurants etc) in the US. I've just applied for a Post Office credit card which does not charge non-sterling transaction fees, only charges if you withdraw from an ATM. So, we'll take dollars and this card and hopefully save ourselves a bit on money (which will be spent on clothes, bags, shoes and beer, no doubt!)

Hope that helps,

Louise

6. Re: Money etc What's Best ?

Thanks Louise,

I like the sound of the beer bit !, am sure we will do the same !!!!

Will check out the Post Office Card etc

Thanks for reply again hope you have a great time.

Nottinghamshire...
reviews: 16
7. Re: Money etc What's Best ?

Hi Nick,

I use an "Ice travellers cash card" and have never had any problems with it. I used it in America on a road trip earlier this year and the exchange rates seemed decent in comparison to others on offer, plus if you run out at any point, you can transfer more money really easily via your account online.

I've used it to pay for hotel rooms as well, so i know you hotels can definitely put a "hold" on money on the card for a deposit/ whatever they call it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
8. Re: Money etc What's Best ?

Good info here

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5995663…

with this link prepared by frequent UK visitor Mark.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv…

9. Re: Money etc What's Best ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, July 28, 2014