We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which of these two locations in Williamsburg are "better"?

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Which of these two locations in Williamsburg are "better"?

Hi all

so I'm heading to NYC later in the year from Australia for two weeks. I've decided to stay in Williamsburg as it's very much "me" but I have a couple of choices in terms of WHERE.in Williamsburg. They both cost exactly the same, I'm just wondering which area would be "better" in your opinion?

Option 1: Kent Street. An old apartment building right on the river, with a giant window and river and bridge views, a rooftop that gets very social with the best views of manhattan I've ever seen but the apartment is a little old.

Option 2: A much more modern "newer" apartment to the east, on Humboldt Street, more central williamsburg I guess, near Montrose Ave. This apartment isn't as large, and the views aren't as good, without the social rooftop, but it's very clean, modern and new. There is still a view of brooklyn but being further away it's not as nice. I would be sharing this apartment with a local as well.

like i said, both places are exactly the same price.

Thanks for your opinion everyone!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
1. Re: Which of these two locations in Williamsburg are "better"?

How about option 3--none of the above.

Rentals for less than 30 days are illegal and frequently scams. ( see the third top question)

Brisbane, Australia
2. Re: Which of these two locations in Williamsburg are "better"?

I'm not actually renting, it's through airbnb, so technically a bed and breakfast style accommodation. More like a hotel-esque escape but more authentic.

Melbourne
reviews: 7
3. Re: Which of these two locations in Williamsburg are "better"?

airbnb is no different in NYC:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c147344/New-Yo…

tripadvisor.com/…49717670

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6575671…

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
4. Re: Which of these two locations in Williamsburg are "better"?

If the OWNER or or legal lease holder of the apartment is going to be there with you, then it is a bed and breakfast. ( and that is debatably legal) IF you are in the apartment alone with others from your traveling party then it is a rental. You can not paint stripes on a horse and call it a zebra! ---and the potential for a scam is strong either way!

Brisbane, Australia
5. Re: Which of these two locations in Williamsburg are "better"?

Thanks so much rdglady and Melbtraveller!

I have just done a lot of reading and research on the topic and I have found what rdglady posted... if the owners are living there at the same time, and all areas of the apartment are accessible to myself it is legal.

So.... the second option it is, in central Williamsburg! As the owners are there all the time. This property is also backed up by a LOT of positive reviews from other travellers as well.

Even though there's only a very very very slim chance we'll be kicked out etc of the other place on the river, I dont want to risk it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
reviews: 49
6. Re: Which of these two locations in Williamsburg are "better"?

The chances are almost nill, but sometimes it is better to be safe than sorry. Personally, Kent Ave is the better location as it is closer to the majority of the nightlife. However, it also depends on the cross-street. Anything below Metropolitan Ave isn't great.

7. Re: Which of these two locations in Williamsburg are "better"?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 28, 2014